Unanswered: Upgrade from 2000i to v8.0

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is an inherent problem of upgrading Pervasive.SQL 2000i to Pervasive.SQL v8.0? And, is it recommended? Of course it is. What I am trying to find out is that what will I miss (functionality, programming wise)?

I am trying to find some kind of White paper, Knowledge Base, Tech Info, etc but could not find it on the Pervasive web site. Or, maybe I just don't know how and where to look...

Cheers,
    _msd_

Provided Answers: 4
    THe only thing you'll miss by upgrading will be a few bugs. You'll gain a new file format that offers faster writes. You'll also be able to call Pervasive and get support for the product.
    I would recommend upgrading to Pervasive.SQL V8.6 (SP2) and not just 8.0.

I'm not aware of any documentation that specifically lists the differences between 2000i and V8.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Thanks, mirtheil.

Will it pose any problem if I do not convert my .dat files? That is, if I can influence to upgrade to later version of Pervasive, only the software itself will be upgraded and data files left intact. Because we have some kind of contract agreement to our vendor that we should not be touching the database (DDF, etc) or we're at risk of breaching the contract.

Given that, will I still be able to avail of many new features of the later version?

_msd_

Provided Answers: 4
    You do not need to convert the files. If you're app is limiting the version of the file being used, then you should also set the "Create File Version" to the version that the app supports when (if) you upgrade the Pervasive engine.
    Without updating the file version, you won't get those features. You will get any bug fixes in the engines and other features of the engine including support if there is a problem.
    Best suggestion would be to download the trial version and try it on a test machine.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.