Unanswered: Link MS Access tables into a MySQL database

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to link MS Access tables into my MySQL database. I already searched the net for it, but I can't find the solution. Can you help me out, thx!

Tom

Link MS Access tables into a MySQL database

Yes, it's possible. Get MyODBC from www.mysql.com, install that. Go to your ODBC configuration (I assume you're on Windows) and configure a Machine Data Source using the MyODBC driver. I also assume you already have the URL, username, and password for the MySQL database - you will need those for configuring the data source. Once you're done with that, open Access, select the PC database you want to put the linked tables in (create it if it doesn't yet exist), and then select "Get external data" and then "Link tables" from the File menu. In the "Link" popup that is displayed, go to the filetype drop down and scroll thru it to "ODBC databases()" and select that one - then another popeup will come up, showing you both your available file data sources and your machine data sources. Select the ODBC machine data source you just configured, and then make your desired selections when you are asked which tables to link and such.

Lynn.

Question

Hello Lynn,

I think you didn't understand my question. I was asking how I can link MS Access tables into a MySql database. I was NOT asking how to link Mysql tables into an access database. Does someone know if this is possible, beacause I think it isn't...

Link MS Access tables into a MySQL database

Hello Green4Ever,

Do you already have an answer to your question? I Have the same interest also using this kind of feature in my system. It will help cutting down the export time wasted from MsAccess to MySQL.

Thanks,
    Marselinus Magtal

Provided Answers: 59
    I don't think you can link Access into MySQL, however as Lyn points out you cna go the other way round, then pump the data into MySQL. I know thats not exactly what you want but it will work.

wether you chose to do the data pump as a timed process through the windows scheduler or as an ad hoc manual process is your choice
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton