tuxedo equivalent from OpenSource?

A client of ours is porting a 64bit application that currently runs under TUXEDO on a proprietary UNIX system. Because the volume of transactions is increasing they reckon that expanding the current capacity would be less cost-effective than moving the entire environment (excluding databases) to Linux, however the stumbling block is Tuxedo. Also, I am rather new to this ans so I would need to:

- understand the Tuxedo functionality in some details

- gather info on what's available from OpenSource

You can think of Tuxedo as "tinker toys" for building server applications... It manages the back end side of process managment, synchronization, scheduling, inter machine communications, etc.

I don't know of anything Open Source that even begins to compare with Tuxedo. Have you considered just buying a copy of Tuxedo for your Linux machine? It isn't that expensive, and I'd expect it would make the whole process a lot simpler.

-PatP

some examples ?

Thanks; to be able to appreciate what transaction monitors do, I also started looking into this :

http://lsirwww.epfl.ch/courses/cis/2...onMonitors.pdf

My understanding is TUXEDO is a transaction manager such as explained at page 18, right ?

I think I would also benefit from seeing a piece of code that implements the minimum fuctionality of a transaction manager (kind of "hello world" code ...)
    Any hint ?

If you look around, you can probably still find the public domain portion of Tuxedo. It was originally the AT&T Transaction Manager, part of System V.

Be forewarned, that even the Tuxedo core is huge, somewhere around 530 K lines of rather obtuse C with the KCS primitives coded in VAX assembler (with some wild macros written to allow PDP-10 assembler to be incorporated within the VAX code!). What you are contemplating isn't a project for the faint of heart!

-PatP