Unanswered: Which config would be the best ?

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know your point of view about what would be, in your opinion, the best config for my needs in production (we're still in dev/test env) : DB should be up and running 24/24 7/7, there would be one instance, approx 50 tables, approx 30 Gb data (+ indexes, including text indexes on CLOBs), and say 100 simultaneous connections, some of them inserting data (often more than 1000 of rows/second), and some of them querying data (not sure of the nb of queries / sec, but could be hundreds in the future).

We are currently using Oracle 9i in a SunSparc64 with Solaris9 environment for dev/test, but we are considering a PC Server with Linux for prod, as we have encountered (see, post 3) performance trouble with our dev/test env compared to a PC env. I've not tested with Oracle yet (I plan to do it in the next weeks), and I wanted to have some advice.

Thanks and regards,

Toronto, Canada
    Provided Answers: 1
    If you have an option of using Solaris for production I think you should do it. In my experience the advantage of a Sun platform over Intel/Linux is not as much in its raw CPU speed as it is in OS stability and hardware robustness. I have yet to see any PC hardware that would take as much punishment as a 6-years-old Sun box without going south. After all the CPU clock speed isn't as important on a database server as a proper IO subsystem and careful memory allocation. You should measure performance by how fast the application responds to user actions, not by how high the CPU clock rate is.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    > the best config for my needs in production
    The best configuration is one that meets or exceeds your response time requirements.
    If you do not have a CPU bottleneck, running on a faster CPU will do liitle to improve response time.
    The only reliable way to answer your question is by benchmarking alternative configurations using your actual application.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Can you keep us in the loop on your testing?

Well, my webserver running on Sun and Linux both running great.

I saw serious performance problem running in Sun server too. I guess as per said, the IO planning is more important. One important lesson that i have learned, no matter what theoritically indicates, don't use a raid 5 : )

Reading, UK
    Having seen your quote in another post about your dev box being an ultraspace IIi @ 650MHz this is atleast two generations behind the latest Sun CPUs (bit like comparing an old P3 to the latest P4). So what I would suggest is that you find a supplier you can provide you with benchmarking facilities. Then you can setup and try your app with the latest kit and find out how it really performs rather than guesstimating. Also dont forget high end sun boxes have lots of useful features for the production environment like hot swop CPU boards and virtualisation. They are also very reliable IMHO.