Unanswered: help! newbie coder

I am using ODBC connection into our Sybase tables, I would like to know if anyone can tell me what is the major difference between a view and a table, pros and cons in creating a view? I have read couple of post regarding views, what is the down side of creating a view using "SELECT * FROM T1"

By just using the pass-through query in Access, is there any command that allows me to tell whether the connection was a View or a table.

Thank you

Provided Answers: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by tanis97
    I am using ODBC connection into our Sybase tables, I would like to know if anyone can tell me what is the major difference between a view and a table, pros and cons in creating a view? I have read couple of post regarding views, what is the down side of creating a view using "SELECT * FROM T1"

By just using the pass-through query in Access, is there any command that allows me to tell whether the connection was a View or a table.

Thank you
    A view using "SELECT * FROM T1" has no real advantages comparing to just "SELECT * FROM T1".
    A view becomes usefull if you create it with a select on multiple tables, or a limited number of columns of 1 table.
    SELECT * FROM vw_table1 is much quicker to type than SELECT <20 columnnames here> FROM table1.

If you have a query that uses much joins and/or where-conditions, it can be very usefull to make a view for that. Save you typing all those lines of conditions, plus it is easier to read, 10 lines of code, or 1 line of code.

Good luck!
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!