Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Convert date of birth table into age field

I am trying to find out how to convert a date of birth field into an age field. If this is not possible how can I create a separate field called "age" which can be updated from the "date of birth" field.

Code:
    select year(date()) 
          -year(birthdate)
          -iif(month(date())>month(birthdate),0
          ,iif(month(date())<month(birthdate),1
          ,iif(day(date())<day(birthdate),1,0))) as age
      from yourtable
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Reply to date & age field

I tried this code in the SQL view of a ms access query and it still didn't work. What I have done is created a date of birth field in a table and I want to create a separate field called "age" which can be updated from the "date of birth" field. Is there any methods of achieving this?

what does "it didn't work" mean? syntax error? produced no results? produced the wrong results? crashed the server?

no, you do not want to have a column for age, because you will then have to go and update that table every single day when someone has a birthday

just calculate the age on the fly

if you would be so kind as to display a few sample birthdates, i'll see whether there might have been a typo in my code by testing it for you
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

dates & age

19-01-1985
    22-11-2002
    06-09-1935

here are some sample dates

The code from r937 is good code. I copied it directly into a query and changed the "yourtable" to "table3", which is where I put my sample information, and it worked great. I even used Dave_is100's sample data and the query returned 19, 1, and 69. If all goes well, and I expect that it will, the second number will change to 2 tomorrow.

By the way, I agree with r937 that you shouldn't have an age field in your table since that is a dynamic value. Keep the DOB in the table and let the query calculate the age on the fly any time that you need it.

TD

and here is the query

and please note, it *does* work

Code:
    create table Dave_is100 
    ( name varchar(9)
    , birthdate datetime
    )
    insert into Dave_is100 values ('curly', #19-01-1985# )
    insert into Dave_is100 values ('larry', #22-11-2002# )
    insert into Dave_is100 values ('moe', #06-09-1935# )

select * from Dave_is100

name	birthdate
    curly	1985-01-19
    larry	2002-11-22
    moe	1935-06-09

select name
         , year(date()) 
          -year(birthdate)
      from Dave_is100     

name	age
    curly	19
    larry	1
    moe	69
    the only possible issue is that access likes to interpret dubious dates like 06-09-1935 as june 9th instead of september 6th, but this can be circumvented by always entering dates in yyyy-mm-dd format
    Last edited by r937; 11-21-04 at 20:44.
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

age & date

I have just tried the code in a select query in ms access and in get the following message - "syntax error in create table statement".

But also, I don't want to create a new table, I just want to use this code to insert into an existing table which already has a "date of birth" column. Is there any way of doing this.

the code i posted was not for you to use in your situation, it was demo code and the purpose was to show you that it does work

(in access, you would have to run each statement separately)

it seems you do not understand what we are suggesting -- in order to display people's ages, you do not have to store the age, you just calculate it righ in the query

so if the table already has a date of birth column, you have nothing to insert
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

What this code is showing you is how to calculate DOB on the fly, after i first saw it ive always used it for DB Tables
    What to do here is actually physically create a table,(as this is easy to do in access) changing the datebirth field into the date/time format
    add some values to it
    then run this code

Code:
    select name
         , year(date()) 
          -year(birthdate)
      from Dave_is100
    this shows how easy it is to get the age on the fly, the only way i can see to hold age within your table would be if that age never changed i.e. age on entry or age on leaving or age at death,
    If the age is to change then the age is dynamic i.e. age today then you would have to update your table on a daily basis or else your data would be inaccurate

Is there any specific reason why your age field should be in the table rather than in a query?

Dave
    Last edited by DavidCoutts; 11-22-04 at 10:21.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCoutts
    What to do here is actually physically create a table
    that is exactly what the code that i posted does

(and no, it is not sql server code )

the only thing you must do is paste each statement into the sql view and run it separately, because access does not allow more than one statement to run at a time

the reason i used access DDL was to demonstrate that i was doing nothing fancy in my table to calculate the age
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

code worked

the date/age code worked perfectly. I realised that i had to create a new table. Thanks for the code

Hi Rudy,
    Was Just backing you up, i put the create table code into access and got an Error code,
    Just redid it and it works fine must be still going a bit mad, or had an extra character in or something!
    I deleted the bit about SQL Server as soon as i realised i was wrong ive got it in the brain with the SQL ive been writing over the past few days,

Dave_is100, dont bother with the new table, just have a query with the info you want and the age calculation rudy provided this you can run at anytime you need and it will be correct

thanks david

he seems determined to create a table with an age collumn, so let's let him go ahead and do that

he'll be back when he realizes that he has to update it every day!

rudy.ca | @rudydotca