Unhappy Unanswered: dependant drop down boxes help?

Hello all,

I have a very simple web site used for sumbitting records on a daily basis, just to make the selection more clear I need to have a dependant drop down list and value of the first drop down would be described in the second according to their selection.

Here is an example that does exacltly what I need it to do but it refreshes which is a reall bugger for me since that wipes all other values entered in other fields.
    I have been looking on the internet and there are many examples but still couldn't quite find what I really needed, have also read the best way to do this is so it doesn't refresh it by using javascript (not very good with Javascript).

So, clould this be changed so I get what I need and it doesn't refresh and if not how can do that.

<%
    ' Get the querystring for State and place it in a variable
    v_state = request.querystring("State")

set conn = server.createobject("ADODB.Connection")
    Conn.open("dsn=test;uid=sa;pwd=test;")
    strSQL = "Select Distinct State from tblAddress Order by State"
    set rectblAddress = conn.execute(strSQL)

' If there are no records found, display a message. Otherwise display our form.
    if rectblAddress.eof then
    response.write("No Addresses Found")
    else
    if v_State = "" then
    v_State = rectblAddress("State")
    end if
    %>
    <form method="POST" action="">
    Product Code:

<select size="1" name="State" onChange="window.location='<%=request.servervariab les("Script_Name")%>?State='+this.value;">

<%do while not rectblAddress.eof
    if rectblAddress("State") = v_State then
    %>
    <option selected value="<%=rectblAddress("State")%>"><%=rectblAddre ss("State")%></option>
    <%
    else
    %>
    <option value="<%=rectblAddress("State")%>"><%=rectblAddre ss("State")%></option>
    <%
    end if
    rectblAddress.movenext
    loop
    rectblAddress.close
    set rectblAddress = nothing
    %>
    </select>
    &nbsp;&nbsp; Products:
    <select size="1" name="City">
    <%
    ' Here is where we are using the State value to select the correct cities to be shown.
    strSQL = "Select Distinct City from tblAddress where State='" & v_State & "' Order by City"
    set rectblAddress = conn.execute(strSQL)
    do while not rectblAddress.eof
    %>
    <option value="<%=rectblAddress("City")%>"><%=rectblAddres s("City")%></option>
    <%
    rectblAddress.movenext
    loop

%>
    </select>

<p>&nbsp;</p>
    </form>

<p>
    <%

Hope somebody can help,thanks and regards

You've got a few options, but none of them are simple, or easy to articulate. You could do it the refresh way as you mentioned, but that requires you to save all the other data every time a change is made.

You can use JavaScript, but that requires you to store all the values in JavaScript arrays, and if you're not good with JS, that will be a problem.

Lastly, you could do a combination of both. Create iframes that build select boxes from form parameters. When the first one on the main page is selected (onChange JS handler) you write some JS code to capture the value of the select box and save it to hidden variable of a hidden form who's action is to submit to the iframe of the next select box (through the target attribute), and so on down the line until you get to the last select box. The onChange of that last select box will call a JS function which copies the value back into a hidden variable of the parent form.

Ugly.. all of them are ugly...
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Smile

Thanks for your suggestions,

UGLY is the word here.