Unanswered: using UTL_FILE from a RAC instance

Hi all,

Ok here is the problem.
    2 Linux Machines running Oracle 9i in a RAC env.

1 procedure writing to disk with UTL_FILE.

The problem is the software is allready written an proven te be good on a singele instance env.

Now without changing the software we want to use it in a RAC env.

My idea is the following.

We have an NAS with OCFS in for our cluster.
    On this nas we could make an Fat 32 partition.
    We could mount this partition on both of the linux machines at the same time.(?)
    An write to a file here from a random instance an we would still know where the file would be.
    There won't be a problem with the two instances opening the same file on the SAN because the file-name is unique.

Can annyone forsee a problem with this setup?

Problem is also posted on metalink and in newsgroup.

no one has an idea about this one?

Dont see any problem as long you are not writing to the same file from both instances (which you say you arent). Any issues would be at the OS level. Anyway as with all these things give it a try it wont do any harm.

Alan

at the moment the machine is being teseted by end user's so i won't be able to change these settings.

But i will see what happens when i try to do this when the user test is over.

hello Phince...i m in kind of same boat. please let me know if your method worked or you used something else.

post this problem on Ask Tom Home

the foresight you seek to foreseen your problem can only be foreseen by tom kyte

Cool Dbms_job()

If you are using DBMS_JOB() package to execute the procedure, you can assign/change which instance can run the job. This way you limit the server where the file is written and can change it automatically if there is a fail-over.

You can also do the same if using DBMS_SCHEDULER() package.

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb