Unanswered: data access pages website

I tried the data access pages and am able to of course query data on the website from the db elsewhere.

Question: Do you HAVE to have ms access on the machine to access the data this way?
    We tried of course and got "data provider could not be initilized". So then looked up some info and….

I tried to change page properties to allow remote provider but went to have a user test it and what happens is that no user login/password box pops up (it DOES if you have ms access on your machine). It goes straight to the data access page but doesn't display the field contents (this is a secured db). Why doesn't the login box pop up?

We are able to do this through asp and have something running now but would be easier if we could just develop some data access pages within the db and then move them to the web server and access that way (we have people without the software installed who need to be able to use this...via a generic password in a userid table).

Provided Answers: 59
    H'm you may have all manner of problems here
    Juast a though why use the data access page if you also have ASP on site - Of the 2 solutions ASP may be more appropriate (you aren't tied to ensuring the correct DLL is installed on the client machines), you can handle any browsers. I'm pretty sure the DAP's only work if you have office professional installed on all the client PC's.

DAP's are great on an IntraNET where you can really be sure you have screwed down the deployment and licensing issues but can be a nightmare on a big site or mutli platform site. If you can go the scritping route then I's do that, its far more flexible and maintainable in the medium ot long term

HTH
    Matthew

Darasen

More...

I did look at something similiar to what Darasen posted and tried it but still can't get someone with NO MS ACCESS software on their machine to get a login box for the security. It works fine for those with the software on the machine. And I moved the DAP into the web server folder and have a link to it from web page.

I have several ASP applications which run intermittently. Always seems to be something on the network end with security and they go down. I'm not very good at it but have managed to develop some things.

My boss does not know asp at all and thought it would be easy for him to use the DAP to develop some web apps via ms access. This is main reason for wanting to use these.
    Also..this is intraNET. We do have a lot of users though. We just upgraded to ms access 2003 thinking that might help and may go to SQL backend later. This is also a secured db with backend and frontend.

Thanks for any other thoughts!

Provided Answers: 59
    On the machines it is now working do they have OWC.DLL (office web components) on, if not then it won't work. It think you need to have licensced software to deploy OWC.

I suspect DAP's are a potentially soon to be redundant technology. If you have ASP on site then consider it.
    HTH