Unanswered: Excel Ole Object

Can anyone tell me how I can store an Excel spread sheet as an Ole object and retrieve the value of a particuler cell to store in another field.

I have an event table which each tuple is an event I want to store a spreadsheet that a budget is done on and retrieve the total budgeted amount to store in another field to do queries with calculations on this figure.

Cheers
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tmccollum
    I have an event table which each tuple is an event I want to store a spreadsheet that a budget is done on and retrieve the total budgeted amount to store in another field to do queries with calculations on this figure.
    I'm not sure if 'tuple' is a typo or is just something that I don't understand, but from what I've gathered from your post, I think I have a solution. Add an additional worksheet called BudgetTotal in your Excel spreadsheet and in cell A1 type some description such as GrandTotal. Then in cell A2 place a formula that will give you the total budgeted amount from your other worksheet. Save this file. In Access create a new table by linking to the BudgetTotal Worksheet in the Spreadsheet you just saved.

TD

You could also use VBA to get the value as a variable

set the microsoft excel object library then

Code:
    Function getFromExcel() As String
        Dim xlApp As Excel.Application
        Dim xlBook As Excel.Workbook

'set references to excel objects
        Set xlApp = New Excel.Application
        Set xlBook = xlApp.Workbooks.Open("c:\FilePath\FileName.xls")

'Retrieve data from an excel cell and pass out of function
        getFromExcel = xlBook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value

'close and quit out of excel
        xlBook.Close
        xlApp.Quit

'get rid of the object references
        Set xlBook = Nothing
        Set xlApp = Nothing
    End Function
    this passes the value of Sheet1 cell A1 as a string that you can use within VBA
    but this is probably overkill

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye_td
    I'm not sure if 'tuple' is a typo or is just something that I don't understand, but from what I've gathered from your post, I think I have a solution. Add an additional worksheet called BudgetTotal in your Excel spreadsheet and in cell A1 type some description such as GrandTotal. Then in cell A2 place a formula that will give you the total budgeted amount from your other worksheet. Save this file. In Access create a new table by linking to the BudgetTotal Worksheet in the Spreadsheet you just saved.

TD
    Thanks Buckeye td,
    A tuple is a record or row in a table. I was trying to avoid creating a table for every event that is going to be stored and would rather set up a schema to store the budget information. (but I am also trying to avoid that).

Thanks for the help

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCoutts
    You could also use VBA to get the value as a variable

set the microsoft excel object library then

Code:
    Function getFromExcel() As String
        Dim xlApp As Excel.Application
        Dim xlBook As Excel.Workbook

'set references to excel objects
        Set xlApp = New Excel.Application
        Set xlBook = xlApp.Workbooks.Open("c:\FilePath\FileName.xls")

'Retrieve data from an excel cell and pass out of function
        getFromExcel = xlBook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value

'close and quit out of excel
        xlBook.Close
        xlApp.Quit

'get rid of the object references
        Set xlBook = Nothing
        Set xlApp = Nothing
    End Function
    this passes the value of Sheet1 cell A1 as a string that you can use within VBA
    but this is probably overkill
    Thank you David this is an avenue that I might persue by storeing each spreadsheet in a root folder with the database and then instead of storing the spreadsheet as an Ole object in the database I will simply store the file name and use a double click event on that field to open the spreadsheet for viewing and use the code you provided to retrieve the needed information into the total budget field.

cheers
    Tim