Unanswered: Transaction Log growth question

Hi DBA's,

I have the tran log backups running every 30 mins. When I re-build indexes on my database with the tran log back ups runniing every 30 mins, I get tran log backups whose size is greater than the actual log file (.LDF). I find this really strange as to how can the backup be greater than the log file itself.

I have unrestricted growth on the tran log file ( By 10%). Auto Shrink is disabled.

Have any of you experienced this problem. Kindly share your comments.

Thanks,

V

I would nt worry about it.....

Is your database in Bulk_logged recovery mode? That should be the reason. mojza

My database is in Bulk Mode. I still don't get it as to why this event happens in Bulk Mode. It's not a burning issue but just a curiosity on my part to know.

Under bulk logged recovery model, certain operation (create index, bcp, image operation) are logged only on extent level so not to have a big impact on transaction log. You pay later when you perform log backup where with transaction log contents all extents affected by these operations are included. There are also some restrictions in db recovery under bulk logged mode (no point in time, you have to have data files available when performing transaction log backup). Look up recovery models in Books Online. There is much better explanation than mine. mojza