Unanswered: Microsoft ODBC Driver for DB2

Hello Everyone,

My name is Pete and I'm new to this forum. I'm trying to find out where I can download the Microsoft ODBC driver for DB2. From my research, it's part of the Host Integration Service, which I don't need. I'm trying to export data from a DB2 database and import it into SQL Server.

Would anyone know where I can download this driver from, besides Host Integration Services?

Thank you for all your help.

Pete..

odbc driver

the drivers are supplied with the db2 client
    you can freely download it from www.software.ibm.com/data/db2/udb/support.html and following the link to fixpack and clients
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula

Hi przytula,

Thank you for this information. I downloaded the 'Run-Time' client from IBM's site and was able to retrieve the driver. However, when I attempt to connect to a DB2 database, the following error message appears:

SQL8002N Connect Processing Failed; a valid product license was not found. SQLSTATE=42968

It appears that I need a DB2 license to connect to a DB2 database.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Peter

Hi przytula,

Thank you for this information. I downloaded the 'Run-Time' client from IBM's site and was able to retrieve the driver. However, when I attempt to connect to a DB2 database, the following error message appears:

SQL8002N Connect Processing Failed; a valid product license was not found. SQLSTATE=42968

It appears that I need a DB2 license to connect to a DB2 database.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Peter

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by PFlorenzano
    was able to retrieve the driver
    Did you actually run the DB2 client setup program?

Provided Answers: 4
    You don't need an ODBC connection.

If DB2 is running on AIX.
    - Open a telnet session,
    - connect to the database (db2 connect to MYDATABASE user MYUSERNAME using MYPASSWORD),
    - EXPORT the contents of the desired tables to files named like "tablename.del" (db2 "export to mytablename.del of DEL modified by coldel; messages export_log.txt SELECT * from mytablename")
    - FTP those files (ASCII) to your Windows system,
    - fire the SQL Server INSERTs. You should look that up in your SQL Server manuals, it should be something like "import from mytablename.del INSERT into mytablename"

Wim

When you install (not just download) the DB2 Client Runtime (or Admin client, or App Development clent) the license will be installed. There is no charge for the DB2 clients.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Yes, I even installed the DB2 Application Development Client and I'm receiving the same results.

I suspect you have a product license problem on the DB2 server, not the client. Unless, of course, you are trying to connect to DB2 on AS/400 or OS/390, in which case you need a license for DB2 Connect.
    M. A. Feldman

Marcus,

The operating system that I'm attempting to connect to is indeed OS/390. So with that said, I will need to install DB2 Connect.

Thank you for your help.

You do not need DB2 Connect in order to fetch data from DB2 on OS/390.
    DB2 RunTime Client is more than sufficient.

Using DB2 Runtime Client is free of charge because it is included in DB2 Connect which is charged per. CPU on the distributed platform.

Using DB2 RunTime Client directly on the mainframe is also legal because you pay a DB2 license for the DBMS, based upon IO.

---

I have installed DB2 RunTime Client on my development client, and I'm using the drivers for ADO connections without problems.

---

/pF

You can use the DB2 version 8 client directly against a DB2 for AS/400 or z/OS or OS/390 database. With DB2 version 7 client, you needed DB2 Connect (software and license). With the version 8 client, the necessary software is built-in to the client; however, you still need a DB2 Connect license to access the host systems.

Some versions of DB2 server for LUW (ESE for example) come with 5 DB2 Connect Licences, which you could use as a gateway to the host.
    M. A. Feldman