Unanswered: Newbie help: SQL Server does not exist error

I've seen this question asked when I searched, but I didn't see an answer that looked like it applied to me, so I'll ask again.....

Making the transition from VB 6 to VB.NET and decided to take a stab at database programming while I'm at it. I bought "Database Programming with Visual Basic.NET and ADO.NET" by Sams Publishing and ran into problems in the first chapter. I've posted some questions on the microsoft.public.vb.database newsgroup and got some help, but it's still not working.

I'll skip some of the boring stuff and dive right in with what I've found out so far:

2004-11-19 02:29:34.71 spid3 SQL global counter collection task is created.
    2004-11-19 02:29:34.76 spid3 Warning: override, autoexec procedures skipped.
    2004-11-19 02:29:58.87 spid51 Error: 15457, Severity: 0, State: 1
    2004-11-19 02:29:58.87 spid51 Configuration option 'allow updates' changed from 0 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install..
    2004-11-19 02:29:59.01 spid51 Error: 15457, Severity: 0, State: 1
    2004-11-19 02:29:59.01 spid51 Configuration option 'allow updates' changed from 1 to 0. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install..
    2004-11-19 02:29:59.46 spid3 SQL Server is terminating due to 'stop' request from Service Control Manager.
    The last suggestion was to uninstall and reinstall. I uninstalled VS and SQL and reinstalled getting the same error message in the log, but the message box said that installation was complete.

On the Server Explorer of the IDE, it shows my computers name (programmer) under Servers. When I expand that and expand SQL Servers, I see PROGRAMMER\VSDOTNET. When I try to expand that, I get the SQL Server Login window with Server textbox disabled saying PROGRAMMER\VSDOTNET and the Database blank. Under the Login it has James (my sign in name) and asks for a password. When I did the MS-DOS CLI installation, I used "password" as the SAPWD. I tried using password, and tried using the password to log on as James, and get the same error message: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Any help would be appreciated, as long as you remember that I am a COMPLETE newbie at this. I'm fairly computer literate, but I don't know the first thing about databases.....

Thanks again,

Thumbs up

As far as the login problem, in which mode is your SQL Server is running ? (Windows mode or Mixed mode) . You can login with a username and password only if it is running in Mixed mode.

My Blog

I think that's part of the problem.....It isn't running.....I'm not sure.

GREAT NEWS!!!!

I happened to reboot the computer (for other problems) and I now have an SQL Server Service Manager in my Systray!!!

It has a "Not Connected - \\" at the bottom. I'd LOVE to try a couple of things, but I'm afraid that I'll lose what I have.....

Any advice???