Thread: Data Conversion

Question Unanswered: Data Conversion

Hello everyone,

I am running SQL-2000, I have a table that one field ddefined as char. The data is actually Dollar values(no $ signs just 99.25 for example). I need to convert this column from char to Numeric. I am trying to use Enterprise manager to redesign the table but I get "error converting data type VARCHAR to numeric". Enterprise manager shows the field as CHAR. I have no Idea why that error is comming up. I would like any info that could help me with this conversion. Thanks in advance.

Ev

Provided Answers: 1
    The isnum function can be used to find values in your data which cannot be converted to numbers:

select *
    from [YOURTABLE]
    where isnum([VALUEFIELD]) = 0
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Thumbs up

Hi you can use the following query
    Code:
    select value=convert(numeric,ddefined) from table
    Madhivanan

I ran the ISNUM function and all rows are good. However I get the same error.

I might be off here, but perhaps there's a value in there that's a valid numeric but can't be converted from varchar to numeric (see: http://www.dbforums.com/t998353.html) ? Anyway, I ran into the same thing a while back; http://www.dbforums.com/t1023776.html got it solved.

You are right. I am not sure why I can't convert to Numeric but I am able to convert to MONEY. Thats works fine for the application. Thanks for your help.

Ev