Talking Unanswered: Hardware requirements?

Hey all,

I couldn't find an answer anywhere on the site, if there is one, could you please let me know where to go? Thanks.

Here goes. We receive large csv files, around a million records a month. What we need to do is:
    - Of course, import these records
    - Be able to run failry heavy reports on around 3 months worth of data (about 3 million records)
    - Wanting to store at least a years worth of data

What I need to know:
    - What server(s) spec (CPU, HDD, memory, etc) would we need to import and run reports quite fast. Don't want the reports/imports to take days to run. The reports will need to be run by about 3-5 people at the same time
    - What OS and database type should I use (I was looking at Windows/Linux and MS SQL/MySQL)
    - If we run these types of reports, can we use the same SQL server to run/store other applications (eg. CRM, etc) with no real impact on performance. There would be at least 20 people using the CRM database at the same time.

Thanks

Howdy

You need a serious server - HP DL760 quad CPU 16GB RAM ( min ) 2 TB of storage ( or bigger) .

Windows 2003 and SQL 2000 Advanved Server. $$$$$$$

Any other OS's and servers will do same job,. Depends if you want windows or freeware....

Cheers,

SG

Thanks for that SG. That is some serious power needed.

Just to understand how long it will take. I have a Compaq DL380 with 2GB RAM. Can you tell me more or less how long it will take to generate a report grouping a specific field and doing a total off another field, assuming it is based on the 3 million records?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    Huh?

I don't claim to be a hardware expert, but SQL Server shouldn't even sneeze at 3 million records on a mid-range box.

2 TB storage? For 12 million records a year? Assuming about 500 bytes per record that is 180 years of storage.

16 GB or RAM seems like a steep requirement too, but RAM is never wasted on a server...

As far as how long it takes, my desktop SQL Server will churn through 3 million records in less than a second.

Any one else with opinions on this?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

SQL Server Express...

http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.