Unanswered: Speed up query with REPEAT?

I'm using MySQL 4.1 to query a large table (>100,000 records). The table is ordered (asc) by timestamp...My query is a time comparison, basically i am looking for all records that possess timestamps closest to (within 5 seconds of) a given time that i input.

so, say i input a time like '2003-01-01 00:00:10'. I'm looking for an output like
    -> '2003-01-01 00:00:08', '2003-01-01 00:00:14',etc. (along with the accompanying data from those records)

i am currently using the TIMEDIFF function to evaluate the time difference between my inputted value and every record, i.e.
    ABS(TIME_TO_SEC(TIMEDIFF('my_input','tbl_value'))) < 5.

It works but is slow...can anyone help with a faster method? maybe using ORDER BY, and REPEAT somehow to not have to evaluate every record but stop the query when it passes the time window?

thanks in advance.

Is your table indexed? 100,000 rows is not all that large compared to what mysql can handle.

Toronto, Canada
    applying a function to a column value usually means that the index for that column will be ignored

yes, you should have an index

but you should also re-write your query like this --
     where timestampcolumn
           between 'low input value'
               and 'high input value'
    in other words, use whatever application scripting language you're using to "pre-calculate" the bounds that you want, and then the index can be used

you should see a marked improvement in query speed | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Thank you, this was helpful...