Exclamation Unanswered: editing/updating records

I'm trying to build a webpage using ASP in Macromedia Dreamweaver in order to update/edit records (by identifying those specific records which need ot be edited/updated with the help of a couple of unique attributes) such that those specific records show up on the web page with all the changes and they can be clicked on if any change has to be made to them or if someone wants to view all the information of that specific record. Also at the same time the edit/update changes must reflect in the database automatically.
    Last edited by gautz81; 11-24-04 at 14:43.

So where are you stuck? You need to create a recordset which only selects the records you want. Then I suggest you use the 'Master detail Page set' application which will create a master page listing all the records which meet your criteria with a link to a Detail page showing the record in full.

If you also want to be able to update the record as well as view it then add in another column on the master page and using the same code which links to the view option create a new update page and then just change the link to that new page.

Question editing/updating records in a Database

HI,
    I'm trying to create a form on a web page which will contain information on students.

This form will be filled out only by the school officials.
    Suppose I want to edit/update the information of any one specific student on the webpage how would I do that?
    I want to be able to identify and find the records with the help of 4 key attributes uch as "StudentLName", "StudentID", "IncidentDate" and "Status" of the Report.

For Example if I'm looking for a student with the last name "Smith", I should be able to type Smith in the Search criteria and it should give me a record of all students who's last name is Smith and then I should be able to click on the particular student with the last name "Smith" who I want to edit/update.

Also, at the same time this record that I have updated/edited should automatically reflect in the database.

As for your last question this is a table has been created in Access. The table is called "Displaced" and it is a part of the database. All these attributed belong to this table. This table has not been populated yet.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for your reply
    Really appreciate it

Start with a search page.
    Create a form with a text field called inputname and a button to click. Use GET as the method and link to your results page eg. students.asp

in students.asp
    create a recordset.

Under the SQL statement:
    Select *
    From displaced
    Where studentname LIKE '%varname%'

Under Variables:

name: varname
    default value: %
    Run-time value: Request.QueryString ("inputname")

Once you have done that then use the Master/detail option available in dreamweaver. This will create your list on students.asp and then give you a detail page which you can then turn into an update page

Exclamation

Hi.
    What is the easiest and simplest way to link the search page to the results page?
    My Search page has four key Search attributes "StudentLName", "StudentID", "IncidentDate" and "Status" with a "Search" Button.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly..
    This has been reallly helpful

If you can explain to me the procedure of how 2 pages (results page and search page) can be linked in Macromedia Dremaweaver that would be great.
    Thanks for your help..
    Hope I'm not bothering you..

the bottom of the screen by the properties bar you will see <body><form>.
    Click on <form> You will then see:
    Action - with the option to search for a page. Use this to select the page you want to link to.
    Make sure you use GET as the method.

Once you get to the results page you may need to expand the SQL statement to include some OR options so you can test for the different results

Exclamation

Hi,
    I actually want to confirm and check if I'm going right so Please let me know what should I fill out for each of the parts/sections in the "Master Detail Page Set" form in the students.asp page

1. When I fill out the Master/Detail Page set should I just select those 4 fields ("StudentLName", "StudentID", "IncidentDate" and "Status" ) in the Master Page Fields section.
    2. Secondly for the "Link to Detail from" part which 1 field should I select?
    3. For the "Pass Unique key" part which 1 field should I select?
    4. Should I create a new page (say for example detail.asp) and then pick that for the "Detail Page name" part?
    5. And finally for the "Detail Page Fields" should I select all the fields?

Also, the last point that you mentioned in your reply which was
    "Once you get to the results page you may need to expand the SQL statement to include some OR options so you can test for the different results"
    Do you mean that I must include all the 4 unique attributes ("StudentLName", "StudentID", "IncidentDate" and "Status" ) in the SELECT statement along with the one that I have added which is StudentLName?
    Can you please explain this in a little more detail to me?

Once again Thanks for your patience and help...

1) you can select as many fields as you like for the master page - I usually keep it to 3 or 4 fields - enough to be sure I can pick the correct record
    2) You can use any of the fields as your 'link' surname or Studentid would be sensible.
    3) Dreamweaver will create your detail page completely for you and show you all the fields you have in the table - if you want its up to you.

When it asks you to enter the name of the detail page just make up the name there - you do not have to create a page in anticipation.

I suggest you work on one search criteria to begin with (eg studentname) and get the system working for that before you make your search options more complex.

You sound as if you are very new to all this?

I can recommend a couple of books which might help you:

Macromedia Dreamweaver UltraDev 4 published by Prima
    Fundamental Web Design and Development Skills published by glasshaus (their books are excellent)