Unanswered: SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Pro

Dear Friends

Can I install SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Professional, I have tried but message was "this platform is not supported" and only client components will be installed after installing, I was unable to create any database.

Please help me.

Thumbs up

Dear mfdarvesh,

Yes u can easily install it. In fact I am presently working in the same environment. What u can do is ....
    Install the latest Service Pack for your O/S and then retry.

Also check this link (Microsoft site):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

It has an evaluation version for SQL Server 2000 and it also shows Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional as one of the supporting platforms. You can download that and try again. Its validity is 120 days.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Knight says:

You can't change the past, but you can ruin a perfectly good present by worrying about the future..

Thumbs up

What edition of SQL Server are you trying to install ?. I think SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition cannot run on Window 2000 Professional.

You can install SQL Server 2000 Evaluation Edition, Developer Edition, Personal Edition or SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine in Window 2000 Professional.
    Sudar

--
    My Blog

Smile

Full marks to Sudar. I second his advice.

If installing a database server, you need either SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition or SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition. If installing a personal database on your workstation, u need SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition. These installations typically include the database engine, the client database management tools, and the client connectivity components.

Code:
    Operating System	Enterprise Edition	Standard Edition	Personal Edition	Developer Edition	Desktop Engine	SQL Server CE	Enterprise Evaluation Edition

Windows 2000 Pro	N/A			N/A			Supported		Supported		Supported		N/A			Supported
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Knight says:

You can't change the past, but you can ruin a perfectly good present by worrying about the future..

Dear KnightHasan

Thankyou very much for your kind reply, I want to develop a database applications on Windows 2000 Professional, please recommend which edition I may use.

Thanks

Thumbs up

If its going to be just a single user database system then you can go for Personal Edition. or if you want to develop solutions using all the features but don't want to use it in a production Environment then you can go for Developer Edition or if you want to just have a evaluation of SQL Server then you can go for the trial (Evaluation) edition or if you just want a server which is free without any client tools then you can go for MSDE (Desktop Edition)

Out of the four that will work in Window 2000 Professional, MSDE is totally free and Evaluation Edition can be used for 120 days without a lisence. and the other two can be used only after getting a lisence.

If you could tell me more about your requirements then i could suggest the correct edition.
    Sudar

--
    My Blog

Dear Sudar

Thankyou very much for your kind comments. I want to develop a Pay Roll System which will be a single user software for an organization and other requirements are so simple.

Now please tell me which version I may use?

Thumbs up

You can go in for SQL Server Personal Edition
    Sudar

--
    My Blog