Unanswered: Ms-Access Multi Client

I am working on a project where My front end program designed in Visual basic should run on 3 systems. The back end is in Ms-Access.

Can transaction be done simultaneously on all the 3 systems. Is is possible to acces the table from all the machine

Kindly help me.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 59
    Its semantics, but if your front end is VB, then the back end is JET not Access.

There should be no problem in running multiple transactions, it might run a bit slow, you may get the occasional lock problem, but you can handle it.

Just a thought, does your employer have Office 2000,2002, XP or even 2003 (I think). Have a look at the disk with Access on, you may well have a copy of SQL Server. Its a limited function (limited in comparison to the full blown product but still a prety fully featured server) version of SQL Server. I think you are limited to 5, or possibly 10 concurrent connections but worth considering. It's not installed by default, you have to go loooking for it.

Depending on the version of VB you have you may have MSDE or SQL Server -It's not installed by default, you have to go loooking for it - MSDE started shipping in 1999/2000.

Thanks very much. but my problem is this

I have a Visual basic program that will run simultaneously in 3 systems with one acting as a server. The Access database will be in the server and connected woth ODBC driver at the client.

When the two people at the 2 machines are trying to save a record, it goes for a primary key violation.

I need a unique number to be generated when the record will be saved