Unhappy Unanswered: Proper Connectivity

Okay - so this is going to sound like the most-lame post, but if I'm a newbie with this question, I bet there are others out there too!

What is the proper way to use Visual Basic 6.0 to connect (DB Environments?) to a database, for purposes of 'bound'ing (binding?) objects?

For example?
    I have a listbox (or combobox) where, if my database was already bound to the program, I could just make the source my table. But because I've yet to figure that out, I have to create a DB as DAO.Database, RS as DAO.Recordset and then run a script to query the table. Then I can enter those values into the table.

To me, that sounds like a lot of extra work. Coming from Access, where everything is bound by default to the database that's open, this seems way more difficult than it needs to be.

I've tried my best to use the Database Environment thingy to do this, but ended up giving up after hours of frustration. I was able to test the connection successfully, but whenever I have an option (say in that listbox) for data source, the pull down is blank. (even though I'd surmise it would be populated with my tables and queries if bound.

So, basically, can anyone help me, step-by-step if possible, set up a dynamic connection? My prog. will only use one database, but multiple tables/queries.

-Matt H-

Lightbulb MSDN or Wizards

how to connect

search on the MSDN for BindingCollection Object, DataMembers Collection Example
    to err is human ; to really mess things up requires a computer