Unanswered: Report misbehaving

I have a report that contains a calculated subtotal in the detail section. In the footer section, I'm trying to SUM up all of the subtotals. I'm aware that you can't SUM from the footer section, so I created a textbox in the detail section that SUMs the subtotals and then I simply used that box as the control source for my grand total in the footer. The problem is, when I run the report, I'm asked for a Parameter Value for the total control in the footer. For some reason, it's not behaving. Does anyone have any ideas?

Provided Answers: 59
    As far as I'm aware you can use sum in the footers, if you copy the same formulas access handles the grouping fine. Failing that I have also done code controlled aggregations.

<basic method is>
    declare the variables to be before the first sub or function in your form
    insert some code to zero the variables on change of the groupings, in the group header format event
    in the detail format event add your code to calculate the sum
    create control(s) to act as placeholder(s) for the fields to be summed / aggregated in the group footer
    in the group footer format event transfer the summed varaiable(s) to the placeholder(s)
    you can do the same in the page & report footer format events aswell
    HTH

Provided Answers: 1
    Is there a reason you're not using the report footer?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

I was printing grouped reports and needed the total to remain with the group. I used a running sum (over group) in the detail section, hid duplicates, and then passed the value of that control to a textbox in the group footer. Might not be elegant, but it worked just fine.

asking for parameter value

Any time that you get asked for a parameter value and you are not expecting it. It is because Access can not find the object that was refrenced usually indicating a typo in your formula. So possibly you are over compilcating the problem and it is just a typo or mis-spelling.