Unanswered: Continuous Forms

This may be a simple question and I think that I've done this before so if anyone can help.

I have a continuous subform in which the user can put in miscellaneous comments regarding the parent record selected. Now from a user point of view it would be preferable if the next blank subform record would be displayed at the top of the subform and not the bottom as is default.

Does this make sense and if so can anyone help?

Yes ... How you can do it is to have a column (hidden or not) that the subform is ordered on where you make the value such that it always is at the top ... Ex: Make the column numeric and set the new record value to 0 ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

I thought so but when I tried it the newest record was still positioned at the bottom hence the original question. I must be doing something wrong but I can't think what it could be?

HINT: Order the form on the column ...

I did with no success - why is it always the small things which are the most annoying?

Quote Originally Posted by mark_hall
    I did with no success - why is it always the small things which are the most annoying?
    Okay ... How is this subform setup? Is it bound to a table? If so, then change your RowSource from a table name to a query based on the table ... In the query set your ORDER BY ...

The subform is already bound to a query based on the table and Is ordered against the order number column.

The subform is already bound to a query based on the main table :-

SELECT main.main_id, main.order_id, main.task1_id, main.task2_id, main.date, main.hours, main.name_id, main.bus_id, main.project_id
    FROM main
    ORDER BY main.order_id ASC;

Is RowSource the same as RecordSource?

Quote Originally Posted by mark_hall
    The subform is already bound to a query based on the main table :-

SELECT main.main_id, main.order_id, main.task1_id, main.task2_id, main.date, main.hours, main.name_id, main.bus_id, main.project_id
    FROM main
    ORDER BY main.order_id ASC;

Is RowSource the same as RecordSource?
    No ... My Bad! RecordSource for forms and RowSource for controls on forms ...

From the looks of it, you're all setup ok EXCEPT for what is the value of order_id being set to? Is this an autonumber? If so, that will not work ... You have to have a column that you can set the value to the least number (or for char columns say either empty or blank) so that it will appear at the top of the list ...

I do this same thing for a form of mine ... It's a contact list and what I do is set the order on the lastname, firstname combination ... I do not display those columns ... I have a separate DisplayName column for that. This allows me to make a new record with a display name of "NEW CONTACT" and have that record be at the top of the list ...