Angry Unanswered: Prompt to save changes to the design of a table

We here use a 2000 database and on the workstations that have 2003 installed it keeps prompting us to save the design changes to a table.
    How can i turn that prompt off.
    In Access 2000 it never used to prompt us.
    I do not want anyone except the admin to be able to save design changes and i have everything set up that way, so if anyone happens to say yes to save he is prompted to enter a new name for the table.
    This is really annoying to explain everyone and make sure no one hits yes so i want to turn that prompt off so that it never saves minor design changes.

Quote Originally Posted by MANIMORE
    We here use a 2000 database and on the workstations that have 2003 installed it keeps prompting us to save the design changes to a table.
    How can i turn that prompt off.
    In Access 2000 it never used to prompt us.
    I do not want anyone except the admin to be able to save design changes and i have everything set up that way, so if anyone happens to say yes to save he is prompted to enter a new name for the table.
    This is really annoying to explain everyone and make sure no one hits yes so i want to turn that prompt off so that it never saves minor design changes.
    Hi MANIMORE,

Why are you allowing the users access to the Tables anyway? That is not a very good thing to do. You can for the sake of having the spreadsheet type of look just design a form and set it as Datasheet. That way it looks just like it, but the structure and all is not to be tampered with. On my systems I always had the Tables out of site of the average user. ONLY the Admin. had access to the Tables. Having them also to Save a Table again under another name will totally bloat your database soon as well as hog space on your system. For my limited knowledge I know of no way to keep from getting that warning about saving tables. Maybe go into Tools/Options and find the Tab to Turn Warnings Off. But then ALL warnings will be turned off. Let's see if someone else has a better idea. My opinion though is that you will someday run into a bit of trouble with everyone having access to the Tables.
    btw, you don't want it to save MINOR changes. Are MAJOR changes ok??? Honestly, not being smart or anything just don't want you to back yourself into a corner.

have a nice one,
    BUD

I do allow them to go into the table because that is were they add records and look up data. I am rewriting the database right now with forms for those records but i am just curious as to why it would never ask in access2000 and now in 2003 it does. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Does anyone know why this is different in access2003 then in access2000?

I would assume that they are changing the sort in some way, and or expanding the columns, maybe even hiding them. But in any version of access when any of these tasks are done it will ask to save the changes. There is no turning them off unless you want to turn off ALL PROMPTS.

Hi again MANIMORE

Only thing I can think of for the difference in the two versions is that someone turned off the prompts (Warnings) in your Access 2000, but are turned on in Access 2003, as that is the default. Be certain that you understand something though. IF you have your warnings turned OFF, then user will get NO messages that they are about to run any kind of query....mainly action queries like Update queries and the like. As in my earlier post, check to see if your warning messages are turned On or Off.

Bud

Could you tell me where i can turn that on and off? (Warning messages and prompts that is)

Thanks for your help

create an autoexec macro and in it put setwarnings with the option false,
    That will stop the alerts and warnings on each time yoou open your db

Thanks so much for your help

I tried it and that doesn`t work because the "save design changes to table" prompt requires a user input and therefore can not be turned off that way.
    You are exactly right though that is exactly what my users do, they change the sorting and filter for certain records. So they don`t actually change anything. I just don`t understand how in 2000 it doesn`t prompt but in 2003 it does. I also was issued a ticket by microsoft but no answer from them yet.

what your looking for is under tools > options > Edit /find tab. There are three check boxes you want to check......but I really recomend you dont do it because you will have the ability of deleting something you may not want to. Any way good luck

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot0017
    what your looking for is under tools > options > Edit /find tab. There are three check boxes you want to check......but I really recomend you dont do it because you will have the ability of deleting something you may not want to. Any way good luck
    That was already noted up top Bigfoot......I think that is just asking for trouble sooner rather than later also. But hey, not for me to decide.