Unanswered: general update statistics question

I have a database that is about 4GB. It has a number of tables with indexes on them with new data being inserted and updated on an everyday day. We have both a production and development version of this database. We have also a script that runs 'update statistics' & 'sp_recompile' against all of the tables in the database. However, the previous dba before me had the script executing only against the development database on a weekly basis. What are some generic reasons why the prev dba would run the statistics script against the development database? Are there some performance issues with running it against the production database?

Sincerely,

Patrick Quinn
    Navigant Sybase Database Administrator

I can't say why your previous DBA' were running the statistics script only against the development database and not on the production database.

As, such there are no performance issues with running it against the production database. If your database is too hugh, you can ran it on week end during night time or when there are less users accessing the database.