Unanswered: A country database....!

I'm looking for a database that includes continent, country and cities. It must be compatibel with MySQL.

Hope someone can help

/kafir

Provided Answers: 59
    I have deployed a data model in MySQL that captures this information. It's not as complex or time consuming as you first think

tblContinent
    ContID
    ContName

tblCountry
    CountryID
    CountryName
    ContID

It was set up for an e-commerce site and has approximately 250 destinations (countries). The destinations were broadly based on postal destinations the local post offcie could deliver to. I think the data capture took around 1 day.

The associations to the postal rates (ie parvel weight, size etc a great deal longer).

your database

how can i get your database?

/kafir

Provided Answers: 59
    Well I started off with a telephone directory which listed all the countries, realted those to continents. Also I referred to the local post offices publications on country's they served.

Have a try, if you still have problems come back to me.

One thing I did do was define continents slightly differently than Africa, Asia, Europe, North & South America. Americas were split between North, Central & South. Asia was subdivided into Asia & Australia, New Zealand and Pacific Islands.

HTH

Found a nice solution

Thanks for your reply. After searching around google i found a database. You can check it out yourself http://www.countrydatabase.dk

It has been quit easy to implement. Thanks for your help but it seems that this database really is what i need.

/kafir

You can also find a cities database that is a lot more comprehensive on http://dataservices.assemblysys.com and is very reasonably priced, IMO.

Ed

Pricing

Thanks for the tip. I already tested the database you recommended. I really don't know why i should pay 90 euro when you can get almost the same for 30 euro. I have already brought the one from Countrydatabase and i works quit nice - it saved me for at least 30hours of work.

/kafir