Unanswered: Add column to table

I have data for a column which needs to be converted.

For example 010102 has to be converted into 01Jan02. So i need to do a conversion in Excel and input a new column in the table which exists in the database.

Can you please tell me how to include a text or excel spreadsheet data into the table as a separate column.

The database is oracle 8i.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks/

No need to make it complicated.
    simply update that column to TO_CHAR( TO_DATE(old_value,'DDMMYY'), 'DDMonYY')

BTW, if it's date then why it's char ?

Hi Pinakdb

Thanks but i dont understand

"BTW, if it's date then why it's char ?"

What is a method to input a column of data from excel spreadsheet into the datamart in oracle.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 4
    PinakDB meant that - if you have a column and store date values into it - why do you store it as a character type, not as a date type.

Method? One of them could be this: save your Excel file as a common text ASCII file and load it into Oracle DB using SQL*Loader.

I've read (on this Forum) about some utilities that can manipulate with Excel files and load them into Oracle (and vice versa). Do search about it; maybe you'll like it better than SQL*Loader.

I have oracle 8i

Thanks,

It looks like this is the only way of converting the excel into csv file and export to oracle table using SQL Loader.

I do have Oracle 8i installed in my PC. But i do not find the SQL Loader except the PL/SQL worksheet

Do i need to load them separately.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 4
    You'll find SQL*Loader in your Oracle Home folder (in BIN subfolder). Executable's name is "SQLLDR.EXE".