Unanswered: Vb6 to PhP to Mysql

I am a beginner in PhP and mysql.
    I am having trouble with connecting my vb6 program to my php script.

So far I have a textbox and a command button in vb6 . When I press the comand button I want to add the text into my MySql datbase.
    the textbox name is: "username.text"

I need to know how to make my text field in vb6 connect to the php script.

my php script:

<?php
    $dbh = mysql_connect ("localhost","bill","clinton") or die ('I cannot connect to the database because: ' . mysql_error());
    mysql_select_db ("mydatabase");

$query = "INSERT INTO clickdb (username) VALUES ('$username' )";
    $result = mysql_query($query);
    $rows = mysql_affected_rows($result);
    echo "good";
    ?>

if this code is correct, then it might be my vb code I have trouble with, see it here:
    Private Sub Command5_Click()
    Downloaded = Me.itcHTTP.OpenURL(localhost & "signup.php?username=" & username.Text)
    End Sub

when I use these codes it makes a new entry in my database but the fields are emty!?!? please help

Provided Answers: 1
    $dbh = mysql_connect ("localhost","bill","clinton") or die ('I cannot connect to the database because: ' . mysql_error());
    mysql_select_db ("mydatabase", $dbh);

try that
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Saroman
    I am a beginner in PhP and mysql.
    I am having trouble with connecting my vb6 program to my php script.

So far I have a textbox and a command button in vb6 . When I press the comand button I want to add the text into my MySql datbase.
    the textbox name is: "username.text"

I need to know how to make my text field in vb6 connect to the php script.

my php script:

<?php
    mysql_select_db ("mydatabase");

echo "good";
    ?>

if this code is correct, then it might be my vb code I have trouble with, see it here:
    Downloaded = Me.itcHTTP.OpenURL(localhost & "signup.php?username=" & username.Text)
    End Sub

when I use these codes it makes a new entry in my database but the fields are emty!?!? please help
    New VB Code

Downloaded = Me.itcHTTP.OpenURL("http://www.fullsiteurl.com/folder/signup.php?username=" & username.Text)
    End Sub

New PHP Code

$username = $_GET['username'];
    echo "good";
    ?>

In the Downloaded variable of your VB, You need to take out "localhost" and put your full site URL, UNLESS the site is hosted off of your own computer/server.

Also, in your PHP, You're going to need to use the "GET" function to get from signup.php?username=User

Its not getting anything from that URL, Therefor, its inserting a blank value.

NOTE: Anything with bold text is what I added to your code. It should make it work.

If you want it to add multiple things to the database, just add more $variablename = $_GET['variable']; and edit the command1_click() code to

Downloaded = INetControl.OpenURL("http://www.site.com/folder/signup.php?un=" & Username.Text & "&variable=" & variable.Text
    Last edited by DannyChaos; 01-17-09 at 21:56.

This question should be in php or vb forum, though you are connecting to a mysql database that part is irrelevant for the code in question.