Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone has come across this issue that we're having and there are any solutions/workarounds:

Currently we use software developed using VB6 that accesses an SQL Server on a remote server machine. Our test computers that have the problem are both Win2000k and Win2003 servers.

To access the server we use the ADO library and add in connection strings. We've tried both DSN and DSN-less connections. All works fine (and has for as long as I've known) when UNC shares are open and accessible by the user of the client machine. And it's just one UNC share that can be just read only. When we turned off the UNC shares so that trying to access the server via \\ServerName\ would illicit a challenge and response login box.

In this state (without logging in) our DSN and DSN connections are dropping out after a very short time and give an error to the effect: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist
or access denied

And by short time I mean our application does a security check first to the database and that works fine but then when trying to load something else from the DB it throws the above error. So to me that says that access is not completely impossible... it just seems that sustained communication is.

Has anyone seen/hear/experienced this problem before? Thanks for any and all help.

Cheers
D_K