Anyone know why my database is reproducing itself? Every so often after running an Access FE, a copy of it will randomly appear in the same directory as the original FE. The copy is the exact same size and always named DB1. If you leave the copy there, eventually DB2, DB3, and so on are created. (Again, all with the same file size as the original DB FE. I see this as a potential problem, especially when you consider the HD space it could eat up rather quickly. Anyone know why this is happening and if so, how to correct it and keep it from happening again?
I've seen that happen once or twice when a Compact/Repair goes bad. I don't know why it would happen repeatedly though. If your FE is set to Compact on close and something is preventing it from properly carrying out the operation, I could see it doing as you describe.
I've yet to be able to pinpoint the exact time/event at which the replication occurs, but yes my DB is set to Compact on Repair. I've noticed a large increase in file size as well, so I'm thinking that it might indeed have something to do with a Compact/Repair going bad. I'll keep an eye on it to see if I notice a trigger for the event, but this certainly has me stumped.
if you comapct and repiar is failing then its entirely feasible thats what this is. Ive had this problem before on a site which didn't grant full permissions on the directory. As the compact runs it creates a new db called dbn.mdb where n is the first available free number. As the compoact finishes the old file is deleted and the new one renamed. On this Novell site the userid running the compact didn't have delete permission (I think but its a long time ago) and the delete failed.
I figured it out earlier today. The database operator wasn't giving Access ample time to compact properly and was trying to close the app before the process was complete. Because no forms were open, they assumed it was safe to close Access completely.. but as we know, the compact operation was finishing up. Trying to close Access during this time was leading to a crash and when the "DBn" file would normally be cleaned up, it was left as is. Many thanks for all of the insight.