Unanswered: Highlighitng a feild in form

Im trying to higlight feilds in a form. Now all works well but, how can i get access to drop the highlighted color once the user types soemthing in the box??

Private Sub Command361_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_Command361_Click

DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 8, , acMenuVer70
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 2, , acMenuVer70
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 5, , acMenuVer70 'Paste Append
    [COLOR=Yellow]Forms![Cfr]![Combo478].BackColor = vbYellow[/COLOR

Exit_Command361_Click:
    Exit Sub
    Err_Command361_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_Command361_Click

End Sub

Hi petenyce105,

Have you tried looking into the ConditionalFormatting choice? That should give you what you want. On the MenuBar go to Format and the ConditionalFormatting. That should do it for you.

have a nice one,
    BUD

Provided Answers: 59
    Conditional formatiing will do what you want. But, and this is my personal preference, I <:hate:>, reasons
    1) its easy to forget you've set it, if you have to maintain someone elses code it can be difficult to track down
    2) its a pig to modify if your users suddently decide they want to chaneg the colours
    3) you are limited in the number of conditions and appearance
    4) its not very easy to copy the formulas, especially if you have 3 conditional formulas per cell
    5) because the formatiing is not immediately visible it easy to make a mistake, and perpetuate an error

So becasue of that, and my prejeudice(!), I would put the code you want in the the "change", or "lostfocus" events. If you put the formatting as a VBA procedure then call the function or sub in these events. It becomes a write once use many, any changes to the formatting comes through automatically. To be safe I'd probaly add it to the "beforeupdate" code.......

If the formatting applies to exsiting records then add it to the forms "current" event so as you iterate through the record set it gets set.

Just in case you think im being irrational I had to change 2 monster reports which virtually every cell in the report had conditional formatting (very nearly 500 cells overall, took for ever to do. The report was fairly slow, replaced that with a VBA procedure which was quicker, allowed the users to change formats (background colours, text colour borders etc....). 'Cos some bright spark inmarketing always comes up with "wouldn't it be nie if we highlightes that condition in that colour, etc.....
    HTH