Unanswered: Update Query for Fridays!

Hello again, I searched but could not find anything to help, so here you go:

I need to create an update query that only updates records that have a date that falls on a FRIDAY!

The date format for this field is (yyyymmdd)

The starting date would be the first friday of 2000 (20000105). This query would need to update to today's date...

I know that I'll need to do something like:

set startdate=20000105
    next_update_date=startdate+7

then in my criteria i'd put the value i want in the appropriate field... Unless y'all know a VB approach to use...

Thanks in advance!

What Data Type is this field? Is it a Date/Time or Text? The way you have it written, it looks like Text.

TD

try
    update table
    set field = value
    where weekday(datefield,1) = 5

note that weekday takes two parameters,
    a date,
    and an integer to indicate the start of the week.
    1 = sunday (default)
    2 = monday...etc

weekday(datefield) would have been equivalent in this case.

That does not work if the date field is text, which is why I posted the question earlier. If the date field is text, the weekday function returns an error. If it is a Date/Time data type, it is an easy query. If it is text, try this.

SELECT TextDate.DateAsText, Format(DateSerial(Left([DateAsText],4),Mid([DateAsText],5,2),Mid([DateAsText],7,2)),"dddd") AS Weekday2
    FROM TextDate
    WHERE (((Format(DateSerial(Left([DateAsText],4),Mid([DateAsText],5,2),Mid([DateAsText],7,2)),"dddd"))="Friday"));

If you want to shortcut it, you can leave out the Format Function and change the Where statement to =5 instead of ="Friday", but since you said you were looking for Friday, I thought you might want to see it.

TD

Thumbs up uhmmm.

Whoa... that... actually... worked...

What the heck was that?! I mean, that was cool as hell. I keep looking at it and looking at it and i still can't figure out why it worked!

wow. cool. thanks, TD! that was cool.

PS, could you tell me more about the "dddd" bit? I don't understand how that applies to the mid() parts... thx
    Last edited by jimmyswinger; 12-02-04 at 16:42.

Hey there,

I just tried this again on another file, but this time I got a "Data Type mismatch" error, AFTER it appeared to present the results of the query...

I view the query, a table shows up with valid data, and right when it gets to the end of looking through all 250,000 records, it pops up with the error and then all the visible fields change to "#Name?".

Any idea why this would happen? Here is the code:

SELECT collections.upp_check_date, Format(DateSerial(Left([upp_check_date],4),Mid([upp_check_date],5,2),Mid([upp_check_date],7,2)),"dddd") AS Weekday2
    FROM collections
    WHERE (((Format(DateSerial(Left([upp_check_date],4),Mid([upp_check_date],5,2),Mid([upp_check_date],7,2)),"dddd"))="Friday"));

The upp_check_date field is in text format.

Thanks

not sure

not sure if this is it but i belive you code has to be on the same line or the first line has to end in ,

you have
    ([upp_check_date],7,2)),"dddd") AS Weekday2

starting on a new line which i believe needs to be on the same line or you have to finish your first line with a ,

this caused me a problem with a code i did a long time ago and someone here explained it to me i just dont remember if you end with semicolon or comma i would just move that code back up to the end of that line.

Talking

I needed help on this very same situation, my solution was:
    For the criteria:
    BETWEEN (DATE()-WEEKDAY(2,1)) AND DATE ()
    OR
    Between Date()-Weekday(Date(),2)+1 And Date()-Weekday(Date(),2)+7

Note .. normally the beginning of a week starts on Sunday and ends on Saturday ... But the expression above uses Monday to Sunday as I had needed it ...