Unanswered: SQL server memory usage

Hi All,

Currently I have an application that uses SQL 2000. The SQL server service tends to take up as much of the physical memory as possible. The problem is I also have other services relating to this application running that are very important.

What tends to happen after a period of time is SQL takes up all of the physical memory, so that the other services are using the paging file (virtual memory). This causes extremely slow response time over the network as these other services are having to parse the paging file.

Upgrading the memory is currently not an option

I know there is an option to set memory usage for SQL but I am unsure how this would respond in a production environment. What would happen if SQL would require more memory than what was allocated to it?

Can SQL release the memory and still act as normal?

Any input would be generously appreciated

San Antonio, TX
    SQL Server releases memory ONLY at the request of the OS. You can try to set the max without restarting the service, which "sometimes" results in successful realease of excess of memory.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Thank you for your reply....

Do you think if I would be better off to set the OS virtual memory to just the size of physical RAM, so that SQL will release memory when it sees "pressure" from the other services?

It is best practice to adjust the virtual memory of the server to the size of physical RAM, instead of the OS default which is 1 and a half times the size of physical RAM?

...or should I not put that much confidence into SQL's ability to relinquish memory?

Last edited by limey; 12-01-04 at 19:42.