Unanswered: MySql Server V Microsoft Sql server

What is the difference between the 2? I have an Evaluation copy of Microsoft SQL Server and I have downloaded A copy of MySql server 4.1 ( This seems to be a free open source, is it?)
    Which one is the best to start with, cost is an issue!.

Thanks

Franki

Take a quick look here

http://www.dbforums.com/t1066216.html

Provided Answers: 59
    if cost is the prime driving force then MySQL beats SQL Server hands down - you have a fully featured SQL engine with no limits (time or size), UNLESS you, or your organisiation have a copy of MSDE or SQL Server Desktop (both of which are full functional versions of SQL Server limited to the number of concurrent connections (I think its in the range of 5..10 active connections). Both of these were shipped with Access 2000,2002,Office XP and Visual Studio 98 on.
    There are differences between the 2 SQL engines, and arguably SQL Server is the more comprehensive product, but I suspect in the real world that most users will not find these restrictions a limitation.

As to which one is "the best", depends on what you are trying to - perhaps you can outline what you are trying to do. I have no doubt zealots will have <<strong>> arguments in favour of their preferred option. I have used MySQL for around 3 years without a problem, likewise SQL Server. I suspect MySQL may loose out if you are doing heavy database access using transactions and Referential Integrity, stored procedures etc..... But I would contend if you are in that marketplace then you could afford either

Thanks for that. Does anyone know if I can use MySql as a back end for access and if so how do I convert/upload my access tables to MySql server?

Ta

I think you need myODBC (you an find it on the mySQL site to use access as the front end to mySQL. You then create a link to the mySQL database throught the Control Panel (that's if you're setting this up on a PC or local network).

I can't remember how to impirt Access files into mySQL databases - I did this a couple of years ago. If memory serves me correct I had to create the table structure in mySQL, convert the Access tables to text files (comma delimited) and use a command line command. Try looking for this on the mySQL site.

Good luck

Provided Answers: 59
    If you want to move from Access to MySQL there are several tools that will do the job. I've used dbTOOLs - search on the web for their site, a free tool that is fairly painless. A word of caution some of the column definitions don't map well between JET/ACCESS and MySQL. You do need to be very carefull, and probably review the tables once created.

There are also inconsistancies between the way how ACCESS/JET stroe information( eg defaults, nulls and tables defintions) and how an ANSI SQL standard database works

There are also inconsistancies between Access and ANSI SQL, things like wildcards come to mind (use % rahter than ACCESS's *) but I'm sure there are many other areas

There is no doubt migrating from ACCESS/JET to SQL Server would be easier (Microsoft provide a tool to do it)