Unanswered: Oracle 8i client connected to Oracle 9 RDBMS

I have connected my workstation which uses the Oracle 8i client to an Oracle 9i database. Things seem to work. What am I missing or what bad things will happen.

I thought there are no issue.

This is what I found in oracle meta link
    "
    Connections from Oracle 7 - client and server (database links) - to and from Oracle 9 are not supported. There is no workaround.
    Since last patchset of 9iR2 you receive an error in trying to connect to Oracle 7 using Oracle 9 client.

Due to an iTAR at Oracle Metalink Account: Oracle says that Oracle 7 is desupported and suggests all customers to upgrade at last to Oracle 8 (8.1.7).
    "
    Question begs to be asked why 8i client against 9 database?
    Unless application dictates/requires, would you not go to latest client?

The reason 8i cllient to 9i database is we have both Oracle 9i/8i servers. We just created a couple of Oracle 9 servers for migrating Oracle 8 apps. We have 100's of workstations that have the 8i cleint that would have to be updated. We would have ODBC connections breaking, the ones connected through the Oracle 8 dll. We will update to the Oracle 9i client, we just are not ready. Users would have to switch their oracle home back and forth.

It sounds like you may already be doing this.

Install both clients and use home switcher to switch between environments. As you can see from Metalink notes, you should NOT encounter any problems.