Unanswered: Invalid server name login or password error (was "Help NUB in MySQL")

Hi people,

I am a NUB in MySQL and other scripting languages. I am using a P4 , WIN2k with Apache as my web server and PHP and MySQL as a test web-server as localhost.

Now i wanted to test a Content management free source project on this testing server. In the most of the content management free source projects that i have downloaded have instructions of placing all their project files on the webserver i.e, in my case C://Public/Server1

Now after i have tried to run the Project installation files from my localhost testing server, two of the projects have asked me for the below mentioned information

define("HOSTM", "");
    define("dbUser", "");
    define("dbPassword", "");
    define("dbToUse", "");

Now when i installed the MySQL using the configuration wizard for the first time i had set the Root password = 12345, besides this there were already two databases 1. test 2. Globalcars and i made a third one when reading the tutorials that came along with MySQL manual and also two tables when following the Pets example.

so whenever i tried filling the above mentioned information as below it has given me a "Invalid server name login or password error"

define("HOSTM", "localhost");
    define("dbUser", "root");
    define("dbPassword", "1234");
    define("dbToUse", "Globalcar");

I would appreciate help from you ppl.

Provided Answers: 59
    Hi Flourotronix
    Dumb point you say your root userid password is 12345 in the text yet the define says its 1234?

Have you made sure the grants are correct. You need to make sure that the specified user has rights to the database.

As a general comment I don't think its a good idea to use you root user as your logon inside scripts. If you server ges compromised, stariaght away you have given the intrudr full rights to your db.

I would suggets you create a separate userid(s) for the the application by grant permissions...
    something like...
    grant all on Globalcar to webflouro.'%' identified by 'flourospassword'
    the '%' should give access to user webflouro form any host, you could tie it down to the localhost byt replacing '%' with localhost

the precise wording may be slightly different, haven't got my MySQL ref infront of me - try the MySQL helpfile.
    HTH

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    Hi Flourotronix
    Dumb point you say your root userid password is 12345 in the text yet the define says its 1234?

Have you made sure the grants are correct. You need to make sure that the specified user has rights to the database.

As a general comment I don't think its a good idea to use you root user as your logon inside scripts. If you server ges compromised, stariaght away you have given the intrudr full rights to your db.

I would suggets you create a separate userid(s) for the the application by grant permissions...
    something like...
    grant all on Globalcar to webflouro.'%' identified by 'flourospassword'
    the '%' should give access to user webflouro form any host, you could tie it down to the localhost byt replacing '%' with localhost

the precise wording may be slightly different, haven't got my MySQL ref infront of me - try the MySQL helpfile.
    HTH
    Thank you will try and keep this thread posted.