Exclamation Unanswered: HELP DTS problems !!!

I had some DTS packages that are scheduled to run as a job every week. They have been running fine for about 4 months.

One of the jobs failed in the weekend. i was normally able to run the job by logging into the server. The job failed instantenously.

I can't even run the DTS package. I am registered on my enterprise manager as an administrator as well. I tried registering as sa but it comes with the same result. i do not have any aliases. and the DTS packages are only working within the indivdual server. The errror messsage is :-

[DBNETLIB][Connection Open (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access is denied

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mmmm....have you checked that all your connection inside the DTS point to a valid server? Can you connect to the server that you use inside the DTS?
    Davide Mauri
    http://www.davidemauri.it

i actually created another new package and it works.
    so

1. the old package does not run
    2. The new package runs fine.

Do you think that my msdb database is corrupted ? or is it the individual databases ?

Right-mouse click on the package and select "Versions". See what that shows you (busy fingures, man, busy fingures )
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Did that, the packages haven't been modified for the last 6 months.
    I think i might restore the msdb database and go from there.

Check the schedule relationed with your DTS package in SQL Server agent manager.See whether the owner of job had been changed or not.

The SQL Server agent is being run as a domain user who is an administrator on the SQL Server.

Currently merging our backup tape to get the msdb database.
    There was actually some patching of the servers in the weekend and one of the domain controllers was rebooted.

Does anyone think that there is some relation with the domain account, sql server agent and my dts packages are not working

Things don't happen on their own. Some had to have been changed for the "anomaly" to happen.

I restored the msdb database still the same error

[DBNETLIB][Connection Open (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access is denied

the UDLs i believe i not working properly. Does anyone know about UDL corruption?

Would restoring the master database help ?

Provided Answers: 54
    Is there anything of note in your server logs? What shows up in the job history (especially if you show details)?

Have you tried to execute the package one step at a time, to see what fails? If you have multiple connections, it might not be failing where you'd expect.

Once you know which connection is failing, try to make a connection using the same credentials via Query Analyzer or OSQL.EXE to see if you get a more useful diagnostic message.

If push comes to shove, export your DTS package to a structured storage file and post it... Maybe someone here can see something in there that might help.

I'd exhaust every other avenue before even considering restoring master. That would be an absolute last ditch option for me.

-PatP

Restoring MASTER would have no affect on success or failure of a DTS package. There NOTHING in MASTER that relates to DTS, NOTHING!..Having said that, - actually there is everything, - databases, logins, linked servers...I'd save the package as a BAS (not structured, Pat) and see what's going on there.

When you restore the msdb database from a different server, u restore the jobs, dtspackages etc. Does any part of the system tables point to previous server. ? like sysjobs.