A couple of months ago I used that user level wizard to try and secure my DB. All has been working fine with it until I decided to make a modification. Now when I try and open the main DB I get an error message saying I do not have the correct permissions to open it!
I have my username and password though and it does work in conjuction with the secure DB part.
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" x:\access\main.mdb /WRKGRP "x:\access\Secured.mdw" /user neil /pwd
I have since changed to XP workstaion and win 2k server. I am trying to work out how to put my permissions back.I also have the admin user and password.I am wondering now if the wizard created something on my old computer, which has now been given away.
any advice to solve this will be much appreciated.
Has anything else changed between the application working and the current position?
first off have you checked that all the files are still there.
ie are the access & workgroup files where you are expecting? (still on drive X, and are they valid, or has someone else tinkered with it. Its possible that a third party could tinker with the settings in that file and you not know (if they have administrator rights). To check this open up Access and join that workgroup (you can always relink to the existing workgroup later on).
As a general rule I don't like to use network drives specified by drive letter, always preferring to use the URL eg //servername/absolutepath/dbname
I'd also try removing the /user & /pwd switches from the shortcut- just in case the authentication is slightly different. No idea if it would help, just I don't think it smart to leave potentially sensitive information which could be compromised in public domains.
I'd try opening Access then opening your db and see if you get a different messages.
The only thing that has changed is my computer is my computer name and computer workgroup.
All the files are still on X and the program runs as it should. I just need to update some features of my program. When i open my main DB in Access to modify it, I get an error saying that I do not have the correct permissions and to see my administrator or the creator of the DB, which is me! :O)
I am not quite sure about joing workgroups although I have tried using the funtion in tools, security, to no avail. I always use the wizards to do anything, which is about my limit.
I am very sure that nobody has tinkered with it as I am considered the techy one and my knowledge is very poor.Nobody else wants to get involved.
The file is there and works in conjunction with the secured.mdw that the wizard created.I do not understand why i cannot access the main.mdb to amend some forms.
Any other ideas will be much appreciated or any tutorials on how these permissions are put together.I guess I should try and understand exactly what the wizard is doing.
Thank you very much for your patience and concise help. I can now access my DB and certainly have a better idea of how to do things. I am know faced with a DB with no menus or functions as I cleared all the check boxes in the startup option, and chose a form as start-up when I was ready to put my DB to use. Never could I imagine all this security would cause me so many problems. :O)
I do not suppose there is an easy way to get my menu and toolbars back. After searching the help files I have tried F11 but to no avail. I can get to my forms through VB editor by pressing alt and f11 and choosing design mode, which is something. I can at least copy an existing label and command to make a new one.
Again, thanks for your support. I have actually learned quite a lot from this, like, storing a backup somewhere else before applying security and start-up options!
Ok i have just about had enough of computers and Access - aaah.