Unanswered: Generating new part numbers

Hi -

I have 3 tables... An Item Master (Part number, description, etc), a Number log (just numbers with short descriptions), and a Prefix table (part number prefixes and their descriptions.

Our Item Master contains parts with customer and supplier part numbers, as well as part numbers that we generate... So I can't use an autonumber field for the part number.

What I would like to do is this... The user clicks on the new record button in the Item Master form, is prompted to select a prefix (from the prefix table), and a new Item is added to the Item Master table as PREFIX-NEXT_NUMBER_FROM_THE_NUMBERLOG.

Should be easy... but I'm in the early stages of self-teaching.

I'd appreciate any advice.

GS in Ottawa

Not an expert

1) Welcome to the board.
    2) Sorry for the delay on a response.
    3) Please note I am not an expert.
    4) Is your form bound?
    If it is a bound form you could do the following Have an Autonumber field in the table. When you create a new record on the form it starts the record and assogns the auto number number. your user selects the prefix they need to use. the click of a button runs and update query that concatenates the Autonumber field and the Input prefix field and writes it to the record.

If you need a specific example let me know
    Darasen

Still working on the part number generator.

Thanks for the welcome. Don't worry about the delay. Free help is always appreciated.

My form is bound to a query that selects all the records from the Parts table.

I _think_ the problem with a autonumber field is that I need to be able to enter new records that don't follow the autonumber sequence (customer part numbers, etc).

A specific example might be helpful.

Thanks!

G