Exporting Memo field data to Excel ??

I am actually not sure if this is an Access or Excel question ... I need to export data from a query to Excel. I have a Memo field in the table and it is cutting off the text that is exported to Excel. I believe it is cutting it off at 255 characters. Is this because Excel only has text fields and can only accept up to a specific number of characters?

Thank you for your help.

From Excel Help on Specifications and Limits:
    Length of cell contents (text)32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar.

HTH

- Chris
    Last edited by cpgospi; 12-06-04 at 16:27.

I just tried to transfer some test data from one of my databases and it worked. However I was transfering from a table using the transferspreadsheet Action. Are you using transfertext or transferspreadsheet?

although the column width is limited to 255 characters. a cell may contain 32737 characters, thus it should easily take anything your memo field has to offer.

Sorry SonoDBCRE8R,

I posted a little too soon. You're correct.

Have a good one.

Exporting Memo fields.

If Excel allows for more than 255 characters, then does anyone have any thoughts on why my text is getting cut off?

Thanks again...

Talking

I just had this quesiton myself, and found that if you are cutting and pasting data from access to excel, choosing Edit, Paste Special in Excel and choosing "text" stopped it from truncating at 255 characters.

i believe that up to A2K, Access Excel export used an old Excel model (circa E95 or E97) which only accepted 255 chars/cell. altho i'm now using A2K3 i didn't bother to check if it now handles more than 255.

possible workarounds if you really must: write to .CSV or .XML (both of which open "naturally" in Excel)

idle question: what are your beloved users going to do with 32737 characters per cell in Excel? Add them? Sum them?

i know the problem tho - users get frustrated when your carefully crafted application prevents them from destroying data. they insist on exporting data so that it can be easily corrupted and immediately out of date! my response to memofield export requests is to limit exports to the first 100 chars & "..." (on the basis that Excel is for ad hoc numeric calculations, not writing novels)

izy

LATER: now i notice that the original problem was years ago.
    Last edited by izyrider; 01-14-06 at 10:57. Reason: NEVERMIND
    currently using SS 2008R2

Well there are some applications -- for example, I extract data from a database to Excel, send the spreadsheet to someone for translation, and they send it back. I then re-import the data back into the database for a bilingual website. Try doing that with a word table!

I have found that if I try to match the content of a recordset field directly to a cell location in Excel, if there are too many characters (127 I think) then the value does not get posted properly; if I write that same value to a string, and then export the string to the cell, it works fine. I don't know why. More details available if anyone wants them.