Unanswered: Script Out Telnet Session and Issue a DB2 RUNSTATS Command

Does anyone know how to script out a telnet session? Here's what I have:

I'm working in SQL Server and I have a DTS package that has a process that drops/creates a table, populates it, adds an index and then issues a command that updates the statistics on the table. The problem is that the update statistics command is actually a DB2 Utility (RUNSTATS) that can only be executed at a DB2 command prompt because it is a utility, not a SQL statement.

My thought is if I could create a script that would open a telnet session, I could issue the command from there and then move on in my process. So basically, I'm looking for something similar to the ftp command where you specify the commands in a file and then point to the file using the -s parameter...

ftp [-s: filename] [hostname]
    where -s: filename specifies a text file containing ftp commands; the commands automatically run after ftp starts.

Is this possible to create a script that controls a telnet session?

Or is there some other way to get statistics updated in DB2?

TIA -- Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bkellis
    Does anyone know how to script out a telnet session? Here's what I have:

I'm working in SQL Server and I have a DTS package that has a process that drops/creates a table, populates it, adds an index and then issues a command that updates the statistics on the table. The problem is that the update statistics command is actually a DB2 Utility (RUNSTATS) that can only be executed at a DB2 command prompt because it is a utility, not a SQL statement.

My thought is if I could create a script that would open a telnet session, I could issue the command from there and then move on in my process. So basically, I'm looking for something similar to the ftp command where you specify the commands in a file and then point to the file using the -s parameter...

ftp [-s: filename] [hostname]
    where -s: filename specifies a text file containing ftp commands; the commands automatically run after ftp starts.

Is this possible to create a script that controls a telnet session?

Or is there some other way to get statistics updated in DB2?

TIA -- Brian
    You can do a RUNSTATS command from a client, wouldn't it be easier to do that?

What language is your DTS package in?
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant