Unanswered: help with an ADODC data control

I have placed an ADODC data control on a form (named Adodc1)and I want to link it to either an Access2000 mdb or Access97 mdb whichever one works. I have tried both . I have used the following connection string: Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Documents and Settings\test\My Documents\Ac2Vb\Order Entry1.mdb;Persist Security Info=False. Tested the connection and Vb says 'Test connection succeeded'.
    Now I have placed a simple textbox on the form and set its data source to the ADODC data control (Adodc1). When I try to click in the data propertys field of the text box I get the message '[ADODC]:no record source specified.[ADO] command text was not set for the command object. I am confused cos I have set the data source to (Adodc1).

Can any one help

Franki

don't double post http://www.dbforums.com/t1072194.html

try data form wizard
    to err is human ; to really mess things up requires a computer

You didn't specify a recordsource. After you've created a connectionstring, you must also set what recordsource will you connect.
    Give me a place to code and i shall move the earth!

Yes I have specified the record source aswell. I have done everything correctly.
    Could it be that a componant is not regestered correctly?. Even the data form wizard does not work !

Your connectionstring connects successfully so theres nothing wrong with the component.

Try connecting to your DB thru hardcode. Besides it is a better practice than using adodc control.

I have never used hard code, what is it and could you give me an example of some code to connect to an access 2000 db and also where to put the code.

Still dont know why the adodc control wont work??????

Thanks

Saltman

If you still want to use adodc try reinstalling vb and msaccess. Just make sure that all required components including your os is properly installed. But just like i've told you, using hardcode is much better practice.

Here is a sample code...

Private Sub Form_Load()
    Dim Con As New ADODB.Connection
    Dim Rs As New ADODB.Recordset

'Open connection string...
    Con.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\SampleDB.mdb;Persist Security Info=False;"
    'Open recordsource...
    Rs.Open "SELECT * FROM [SampleTable];", Con, adOpenDynamic, adLockPessimistic

Set Text1.DataSource = Rs 'Bind textbox to recordsource...
    Text1.DataField = SampleField 'Bind to field...
    End Sub

Thanks for that, I have copied your code and changed the database name/location etc to my data and when I try to run the form I get an error message: Compile Error User defined type not defined. and it highlights the code: Dim Con As New ADODB.Connection

Any ideas??

I appreciate you time and thoughts.

Thanks.

Sorry my fault, I did not have correct location of my database in the connection string. The form is now opening but it does not show any data in the test box??.

Are you sure your code is right or your database already contains records?

Remember that strings must be enclosed w/ double quotes "".

Text1.DataField = "SampleField" 'Bind to field w/ double quotes..

or...

myVar = "SampleField"
    Text1.DatafField = myVar 'Bind to field w/o double quotes.