Unanswered: ORA-01555: snapshot too old: rollback segment number 3 with name "R03" too small

Hi gurus,

I am trying to solve a tricky problem that occurs every so often when we run several scripts that generate a series of reports. The scripts use a ref cursor and do a simple SELECT query against the SYS audit tables. I checked rollback segments and no problems. The ref cursor is not fetching across commits so I am really lost and confused as to why this error keeps happening like every 5 days.

snapshot too old error is likely not due to size of rollback segments or rollback tablespace.

Sometime you can resolve this problem by making the rollback segment larger but most like is due to dynamic nature of the data you are querying. Specially if you are querying sys audit tables, you may want to verify what the system activity is like when this error occurs. It is likely due to data you obtained has been manipulated and changes committed by other prior to your query completing. If this is the case (your code is not modifying the data), I believe there is not much that can be done.