Unanswered: Storing datafile on removable media

Does anyone know how to create a datafile (9i on Windows) which can be stored on removable media? Our company uses a removable firewire device for backup purposes and I want to store some historical, rarely-used data on one of these devices.
    I've created a tablespace with a datafile on this device, moved historical data to it, and then altered the tablespace offline. I then shut down oracle and the host, removed the device, brought the host back up, then tried to start oracle. Oracle startup failed because the datafile on the removable device (containing the offline tablespace) was not found.
    Any suggestions appreciated.
    Cliff
    It was working just 5 minutes ago - I promise !

Provided Answers: 1
    Just as a thought, have you tried taking the tablespace offline, restarting the database (without removing the device) then seeing what state the tablespace is in? (i.e. is it still showing as offline?)
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

cis_groupie, it's worth a shot - I'll check it out. I think the problem may be that on startup oracle wants to check the header of all the datafiles it knows about (to verify SCN and other things). I need a way to tell oracle not to worry if a particular datafile is not there.
    Thanks for the suggestion
    Cliff

Provided Answers: 1
    The reason for my suggestion about checking the state of the tablespace is because the control file should register that the tablespace was dropped. If the tablespace is not showing as offline then it would mean that the control file has not been updated.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

Why not setup a transportable tablespace. Then you could disconnect it at will. see the following link.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...htm#ADMIN01101
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

beilstwh, That sounds like a good idea...will check it out.