Exclamation Unanswered: Resolved: Report problems with segregating/grouping data

This isn't a totally novice question (at least I don't think so). I'm pretty experienced at VB, and getting there with reports in Access. I just can't figure this ordering/segregating deal. My problem is along these lines:
    I have 4 different departments. They have meetings to resolve the problems. So the flow goes that the departments have a meeting on a certain subject (MeetingTitle), which is put into the database and given a number (MeetingID). There are particular causes that lead to each problem, which are also identified and assigned a number (ProblemID). Finally, the departments come up with solutions (SolutionID and SolutionTitle), also put into the database.
    A recordset pulling all of the info might produce something like this:
    (sorry the "columns" don't line up)

MeetingID ProblemID SolutionID MeetingTitle SolutionTitle Department
    INV001 L301 2 Inv. Desc. Check All Ship HW
    INV001 L303 4 Inv. Desc. Call Manu. HW
    INV001 L301 6 Inv. Desc. Record Action SG
    INV002 L303 2 Emp. Inj. Secure Ladder SG
    INV003 L550 3 Short Cash Double Verify HW

What I'm trying to produce on the report would be:

For Dept. HW
    MeetingID, MeetingTitle
    ProblemID
    SolutionTitle

'Other problems from other departments
    ProblemID
    SolutionTitle

I can get everything just as i want it with the exception of the "Other Problems" bit. How do i take a the data in a query, pick out the records belonging to a chosen department, and display those and THEN display the PROBLEMS from other departments for that same MeetingID?
    So, given the data above, the report for department HW would look like:

INV001 Inv. Desc.
    L301
    Check All Ship

L303
    Call Manu

Other Departments
    L301
    Record Action

INV003
    L550 Double Verify HW

Any help would be much appreciated. If i need to explain the problem better, please let me know. Thanks again.
    Justin
    Last edited by jmahaffie; 12-08-04 at 12:33. Reason: Problem Resolved

Think about a sub-report.

Hope that helps,
    Digger

Are you trying to make this report for a single department? Or are you gonna run it as a "batch" (multiple departments)?

If for a single department just retrieve the records for that department and then run a query for the other problems for each problem ID ... How to group it is rather simple: Make all records have the department ID BUT have a grouping column for "other" departments ...

Or you could do a subreport ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Resolved: Report grouping questions

Thanks, guys. I've just started working with grouping in the last two days and subreports today. i think a little reorganization and a couple subreports oughtta put me where i want to be. Thanks again.