Talking Unanswered: Synonyms, & users, can we delete those not used

I am trying to optimise an Oracle server that sits on a Windows 2000 server. We have a instance called IO, to which we have about 52 schemas residing under that instance. I have noticed lots fo Synonyms and users that are not needed, can we just drop them so that we can improve our performance.

I have done all the other tuning/performance on the database but its still ever so slow:
    The main tuning that is done is , Memory management, cache management & Space management for Operating system and Oracle tablespaces..

Can someone tell me if I can delete these unused users and synonyms?

Greatly appreciated

Croatia, Europe
    Provided Answers: 4
    I'd say that - if you don't need them - you can drop them. Who cares?

Performance Improvement?

Although dropping unused synonyms and inactive users is probably a good idea from a maintenance standpoint I can't think of any reason why this would improve your performance.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    > Can someone tell me if I can delete these unused users and synonyms?
    Yes, but I'm willing to bet it won't make Oracle perform better.
    You'd be better off collecting wait statistics (via SQL_TRACE) on the slow queries.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Query Tuning

Sorry for posting again.

I was just looking at your list of things you've tuned and you haven't mentioned query tuning. You're likely to get the biggest improvements by working on the queries especially if you've tried to tune everything else. "They" say that 95% of your tuning is query based and from what I've experienced that's true.

Temple University

Start with STATSPAK. Look at the top 5 sql statements, and the top 5 wait events. Go after the statements first, because they can have a large impact on the wait events. After you have the statements tuned as well as you can, run statspak again, and compare the top 5 wait events to see if they have changed.
    After you have gone through this same process a few times, you will have wait events that are not dependent on the statemants, and need further tuning attention.