Unanswered: problem with database access when program compiled

hi there,

i have jsut completed a small database application in VB, it uses dataforms wizard on VB and works fine on my PC (windows 2000), but when i package it using the built in Visual studio tools and put it on the computer that will be using it (also windows 2000) i get an error like:

'provider not found. may not be installed'

now, the information from the data base gets loaded onto the text fields on the form, but i cannot update them.

i have looked around a few forums and found similar issues, but those seem to be related to SQL server.
    I tried to put the latest version of MDAC on the machine, but this did not help either.

can anyone tell me if there are some files that I am missing that are not automatically included when compiling into a package on VB?

thanks
    D

does the machine where you installed the compilled version has access to the DB server?? If you on a network administrator log on into the machine, do you have the same problem??

How is it trying to connect??
    to err is human ; to really mess things up requires a computer

the database is sitting on the same machine as the application, the database is set up as an odbc data source.....so there is really no network involved i guess....

it has been suggested to me that the problem may be that its trying to use the Jet 3.5.1 when a more compatible driver would be Jet 4 , so maybe i should change the connection string...

does this sound like a solution to you? (i would try it but wont have access to the system until the weekend)

thanks for replying!
    D

it could be

Does the machine has the same Access version as your machine?
    What Jet engine were you using in your machine?
    to err is human ; to really mess things up requires a computer