Unanswered: Executing SQL Command via ODBC takes a LONG time

Hey, all.

I have a very simple SQL statement that is only doing a SELECT on one field (and it's an indexed field, too) with no WHERE clause. When I get to this part of a Windows Scripting Host script:

iAffect = 0
    msgbox "cmd.Execute(iAffect)"

set rs = cmd.Execute(iAffect)

The command takes about 20-30 min. to return. The .fp5 (under FM Pro 6) that I'm querying is about 7800 records.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why FM would take half an hour to just process that query before I even got to walk through the recordset?

So. Cal. USA
    Howdy! I haven't worked w/FM's ODBC yet but I have heard folks complain about on other FileMaker forums about how slow it is, but I don't remember HOW slow (I hope not THAT bad). I'll be looking into FM ODBC soon, too... now you've got me worried!

I think it has something to do with the dozen-or-so unstored calculation fields.

I created a temp file of the fields I needed and imported the data into that and ran the query and it was immediate.

I think I'm going to have to abandon my plans to do a pull via ODBC queries and have the developer put some sort of timer-based export routine into FM itself.