Question Unanswered: sharing with linked files

I have a database that has several linked excel files in it. This database is used by several people. The users run into a sharing problem when they both attempt to use a query that accesses the same linked file.

How can I safely allow sharing of these linked files?

Thanks

Steve

Only one person at a time can have editing access to an excel file. Other people will only be able to look at the stored information in a "read" only mode while it's opened and being edited in "write" mode by someone else.
    As far as I know there is no way you can have two people editing the same excel file at the same time. So the only way to share it the way you're talking about is to have the user open the excel sheet in "read" only or have the file set to "read" only.

Sorry, I didn't specify what I was doing.

The excel files are linked into the database but they are not edited with the database. They are used in queries, as a source for combo boxes and during the data verification process. The problem I am having is when one user is entering data, the data entry form is locking these linked files so no one else can run a query that depends on them.

Hope that helps!

Steve

Sorry, I didn't specify what I was doing.

The excel files are linked into the database but they are not edited with the database. They are used in queries, as a source for combo boxes and during the data verification process. The problem I am having is when one user is entering data, the data entry form is locking these linked files so no one else can run a query that depends on them.

Hope that helps!

Steve