Unanswered: Exporting images to PDF

What is the best file extension to save images (multi-page) that will give me the option of exporting them to one PDF?

My images are usually 1 or 2 pages. And I really want to scan then as one big file and have only one image path per record.

I want to take all images and export then to one big PDF

Iím using office 2003
    I can also use Tif or Mdi

If thatís impossible, please let me know so I can look for other solutions.

Thanks
    Joe

Using vba code?

Provided Answers: 59
    using a database?

Yes
    I have an Access DB

Iím willing to use any way/code that will fit my needs

The DB is already done. Every record has a field ĒImagePathĒ
    However, itís still missing the images part.

Thanks gain
    Joe

I haven't done this from an Access DB, but I have written to a PDF from a path stored in a MySQL DB. The principle should be the same> the key here is how are you writing to the PDF, are you creating a PDF using a control or via PDF Writer / Distiller / Or whatever that product is called these days.

If you are using PDF Writer / Distiller then it shouldn't matter as the operating system treats the PDF as a printer stream. If you are using a control / class then you need to read the documentation for the control / class
    In principle it should be device transparent you are sending an image to the class.

I have successfully sent GIFS and JPEGS to a PDF, from a website generating personal shopping/query lists on the fly. IE allowing a user to identify the products they are interested in based on their selection criteria and then have that list sent as a PDF by email.

The main thing to bear in mind is that printed media has at least 3 times the resolution of screen media (ie you need to reduce your images by at least 2 thirds (ie the size in the PDF should be approximately 1/3rd the size of the original image). So if you expect your customer to print the PDF then you must adjust the image size appropriately.
    HTH

Healdem,

It looks like I will be helped in here. Thanks
    the key here is how are you writing to the PDF
    I still donít know what I will use; it depends on what you will recommend me.
    I have successfully sent GIFS and JPEGS to a PDF
    Gifs and Jpegs can easily be printed to PDF. However, Iím dealing with a multi-page file.
    The main thing to bear in mind is that printed media has at least 3 times the resolution of screen media
    All my images are not really pictures. I scan 8 Ĺ x 11 documents (Let call it reports) and save them as an image. So if the image (report) has more then one sheet, that image file should have more then one page.
    With that said, I donít know if I have to reduce the image size on the PDF. Am I correct?

Thanks again

Joe

Multi-page tif files are a better choice than jpg's.

alternative: use .SNP and add a link to the snapshot viewer (free) download in the e-mail that sends the report.

why: it's free
    why: SNP is smaller than PDF
    why: snapview is mega-faster than acrobat reader
    why: SNP is higher fidelity than PDF
    why: SNP writing is "native" in Access

i have the most monumental respect for adobe's postscript - it is one of the most beautiful programming languages in the world. it's just PDF that leaves me stone cold and waiting for the #@{{Á* reader to open.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Quote Originally Posted by wpslider
    Multi-page tif files are a better choice than jpg's.
    if you are reprinting scanned documents then TIFF is the better choice, you will almost certainly not need to scale the image

how you write to the PDF depends entirely on what tools you have. If you can afford acrobat professional (around £150 UK) then I'd use that. It acts as a printer so if you can view your report on a printer you cna view it in PDF's. There is another method of creating PDF's as if a printer (CutePDF?) nopt sure but mentioned on another thread in dbforums.

There are also controls which allow you to create PDF's but you will have to do a lot more work.

Yes IZY is correct to point out you can use SNP's, they are free etc. Depends who your audience is. If its multi platform then PDF would be my choice. I suspect that PDF will be more styable opver time. I've used SNP's on a couple of sites, one site worked fine, the other was a nightmare, reports mangled or lost. I've never had that problem. With PDF's you can be confident that wht you see is almost certainly what the recipient will see. Maybe its just prejudice - I've used PDF's had no problems, used SNP's had problems therefore my vote is for PDF's.
    HTH

Good morning everyone

I really like this group, because everyone is helping each other.
    Thanks

I have acrobat professional and snapshot.
    The software is not the issue. What ever Iíll be recommended I will buy.

I still donít see how I can use either one. Because you need to have a report with all images first, then you can send it to PDF of SNP.

Opps
    Iím sorry, I forgot to mention in the original post.
    Each record on my DB has a field ďImagePathĒ where Iíll put the link to the image.
    My images are usually 1 or 2 pages.
    However, I would like to generate a PDF or any file to will combine a few images from different records, and email it.

However, how can I get all images into one report? Each image is a multi-page file and I need more then one image in the exported report.

I hope I explained my problem clear and I will get a solution.
    Thanks
    Joe

I don't think you will be able to have one image spanning multiple pages. You could fake it by setting the paper size to be larger than A4/Letter though. Thatwould mean the recipient had the option to print on multi pages or scale to theire default page.

If you are using Acrobat Distiller/writer then the method of how yousend the images to the printer is irrelvant. You create the report as noirmal in access and you then elect to send the output to a physical printer or virtual printer (the PDF). Access doesn't care about the output device its handled by the printer driver.

So your problem is sending the files to a report. One think you can do is along with the image URL record the image attributes (height x width) and use these to work out if you can fit the image on thge current page, or force a formfeed, but why worry
    if the image is populated with the url and its properties are set correctly (ie stretch / clip etc) then let Access do the the page handling stuff

Acrobat Professional is (I think) the latest incarnation of Acrobat Distiller. Check your printers colection and see if you have something similar to Acrobat Distiller Acorbat PDFWriter