Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: 9i Forms end-user question: Bulk update from folder?

Hiya folks, I'm stuck using end user ONLY tools for massive updates (ie: update the same field in 4,923 records to the same value). I have no access to SQL*PLUS or any other direct query tool.

Is there a method I can use in Forms to update an entire column?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Hi,

Sorry, I can't help you with the Forms question. I know about as much about forms as I do about the other Gender.

5000 rows is not a massive update. If the end user tool works properly, I would imagine (to be honest) that you would have little total time improvement regardless of what you use.

If it were millions of rows with children then yes, the approach you choose could have a massive effect on total process time.

Some client tools are a bit brutal in their approach, in that they will gather a rowid for every row in a client dataset, and update them with individual SQL statements.

One way to get around this (if your tool supports it) is to wrap your statement in a begin / end block. This forces the entire statement to be passed to Oracle without all of the middle layers getting involved.

Bear in mind though, that bypassing any (intelligent?) middle layer can have adverse side effects in itself.

BTW - what is the tool and what is the actual update/problem you are trying to solve?

Cheers
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

We're running Oracle Forms Version : 6.0.8.21.3. I have no other tools at my disposal.

the update "problem" isn't really a problem at all, it's just tedious as hell. Essentially I need to manually run through 5000 of these records via the "forms" interface and delete one value from each record.

Being an MSSQL dba in the none-to-far past, I have a solid grip on how I COULD do this if I had more flexibility with tools, but I don't. We're talking about a timesavings of probably a full day here.

Hi,

Yes modifying 5000 individually by hand, that is a massive task :-)

I'm afraid I don't know enough about forms to help you with that, but I suspect it would require some forms development. If you do not have access to SqlPlus et al then it's also highly unlikely you would have access to modify/create your own forms.

I'm nervous about the idea of you doing the mass update anyway. Your scenario suggests that you're sitting in front of this as and end user, in which case you really wouldn't (and generally shouldn't) be allowed ad hoc updates like this.

If you're not running as an end user, my apologies - but I'm intrigued as to the lack of other tools.

Regards
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

At the moment I am indeed a lowly end user. IS is so far backed up there's still simple query requests hanging from early september.

Ahhhh, the glorious life of a temp.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Just use ACCESS or EXCEL via ODBC into Oracle!
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

'Ex DBA' working as an end-user as a temp. With due respect, you should leave well alone.

Regards
    Bill